Small, white and fluffy = evil

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm sure there are many people who own Malteses, Bichons, Cotons and any other small fluffy white dogs that are fantastic wonderful pets. I have yet to meet one of those dogs. I've worked around dogs for a very long time and have never been bitten, yet in the past two days I've been bitten twice. Both times the culprits were cute pampered fluffy little white Maltese. They're small and older so the teeth didn't break the skin thankfully. I work at a boarding facility and know how to handle dogs. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary and yet both dogs just went after my hand as I went to leash them so they could go home. :mad: And there's also an evil Bichon that growls at anyone who gets near her kennel and will snap at your hand when you try and put a lead on her to take her outside. So yeah. There's my small dog rant for the day.

Feel free to add evil dog tales of your own or commiserate about over-pampered, under-trained dogs in general.

(mods: if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it)

mrose_s

BusterLove
lol Daisy is very stubborn (maltese mix) she is the boss out of all the dogs and if she hurts herself accidenltly the other dogs are in for it :rolleyes:
I have never been bitten but it does seem that SOME small dog owners take less time training them as they can't seem to do a lot of damage to people. But if you think about soemthing like a vicous maltese, and a toddler, then there are problems.

Ash47

Taco Dog
This is very true. But my small dog is not like that. I wanted her to be the opposite. Now, she still shows her not-so-likeable Chihuahua traits every once in a blue moon(Though being bias, I don't think there are many). :) But, we have trained her to be sweet and love everyone. She obeys us and has never bitten anyone or anything. I do spoil her, but no more so than I spoil my big boy and grrrls. That would be silly to spoil her more just because she is little. But I have seen many a dog that is not trained because people think that just cuz they are small, people won't mind if that little ball of joy jumps all over them and eats their face.

bubbatd

I can appreciate these breeds but I do love larger dogs. Not all of them are yippy, nippy, hyper, I realize, but I like big hugs !

Fran27

I'm more found of big dogs too, but I think the problem with smaller breeds is that people don't think it's a big deal if the dog isn't trained, they won't be able to make lots of trouble anyway, so they don't bother.

I have to say I know one who was a real sweetheart though.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My mom has a lttle shih tzu/pug mix and she is the sweetest most spoiled little girl and she is well trained but she gets very moody. Not with me or my mom or anything but she just has certain people that she does not like. Like I could ball her up inside my sweater and walk around with her in there or be rough and tumble with her and she loves it but if my niece so much as puts her arm around her shelby will growl at her and warn her to back off. She does NOT like my niece lol. I think they just have big dog complex :D they are a big dog trapped inside a little body lol. They have to make up for their lack in size with attitude :D haha

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I just wish people would still take the time to train their dogs to walk on a lead. I don't like having to drag a dog across the floor, but it's a better alternative to getting bit because I tried to pick it up.

ice cold

totally awesome
I love little dogs! My friend's friend has 2 maltese (1 male, 1 female), and a tiny little black pomeranian. They're sooo sweet! hte maltese just come running whenyou get to the door and the pomeranian stays upstairs and yaps (she's afraid of the hardwood because she slips). One night I was at his house and I was feeling relitively ill, and both of the maltese just came over and sat in my chair, so then of COURSE I had to ask for someone to brign me the pomernain, so then I had 3 adorable and sweet little dogs all taking naps on me. They're like a friendly version of cats, lol. Well, these ones were at least :-D

aurorab

I worked in a vets office and this one chi didn't like anyone but her mommy, we could even weigh her. Then she was in to get spayed, she was over 3 and very overweight and not socialized (not by a long shot). ANyway she was put into a kennel and when they went to get her out she freaked. the nurse refused to get her out (she was a bit of a pain and actually would make it worse b/c of her short temper w/ the animals) anyway I was worried that she would freak onthe dog or handle her rough so I stepped in. I stood at the kennel door and had cat gloves on (they are made to take a cat freaking out biting and clawing) I slowly mover the gloves in (my hands were not up to the fingers). She bit and bit, but I was fine. The she calmed a bit. Then I tried to pet her w/ the gloves (again my hands were not all the way inthe glocves) she bit them a bit but then she was fine w/ then and I moved my hand into the gloves, and continued to pet her. I was finally able to get her out and cuddle her in my arms. They even gave her her shot (to put her out for the spay) w/ her in my arms and she was fine. But I don'r blame her. I blame her mom for not socializing her properly. All she knew was that she had never been around anyone but her mom and she was scared. Plus if the nurse got her she would have probably made it worse. So if those cute little ones aren't so cute and sweet blame the parents.
My 2 chis are so good w/ people especially kids. We work w/ them all the time and of course watch them all the time that they are around kids. Baby even had a little one graba good chunk (he was too fast, even thought Baby was on my lap), Baby just looked at me like HELP MOMMY! and I took off his little hand and had him pet her nice. She is very well socialized but I still would never leave he alone w/ a child (sometimes I think more for her sake than the child)

Sprout

Brussels Griffon
:) i think it all depends on the dog :) The two that bit you were probably scared and stuff, being as their owners left them with someone they completely dont even know.. but they might be like that all the time, who knows =/

I personally am a big dog lover. For some reason it is hard for me to view small dogs as dogs. My dogs weigh 50-65 lbs., I walk my neighbor's 16 lb. westie once a week - that's pretty darn small!
As far as attitudes, if you treat them like a large dog and don't spoil them, they shouldn't be big brats.

Members online

No members online now.