Canine Parvo Virus (CPV) facts and helpfull information

mypy

Taters
If your broke and your pup has parvo.....this might helps

Hey my roommate currently has a litter with parvo. None of us could afford to take them to the vet. Well my roommate gave them Childrens antibiotics, pepto and pedialite. A vet can tell u the right doses to give. Out of nine pups we lost four but saved two and the others are showing improvement.Two days ago one of the pups wouldn't get up on her own and now she is willing to walk to you if you call her (as long as your not to far a way). She's still really weak and doesn't drink enough on her own but its a major improvement. It's not a cure but it helps.

Good luck to anyone who pup is sick!

Last edited:

sheepjoke

dont know if this has been mentioned but I've heard that Tamiflu (for people) has had some good results with parvo dogs. Your vet would have to get you a script for it, i think.

i am fortunate that I have not had to deal with parvovirus.

sheepjoke

chanda

my dog also died due to canine parvo virus. Nice info by the way...

i also found the same information about parvo virus in Pet Planet blog site.

chickadee

That is very helpful information on parvo-------I have several puppies that have died from this. I would like to know what can be done to prevent the other puppies from catching this (if anything )

Great info and just another reason why dog parks shouldn't be supported with tax money. If you want an area where your dog can mingle with strange dogs so he can become "socialized" and get infected at the same time, buy your own piece of ground and send out fliers.

Sorry for the rant but parvo is just so contagious.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
AussieMom - if you have half a brain you don't take immuno-compromised dogs or puppies without their shots to a dog park? I don't see the problem with a publicly funded park being the root of all that is Parvo.

Even taking your dog for a walk might expose them to something like that if someone hasn't picked up their dogs crap. As resilient as the virus is, you can't know when or where they'll catch it, so the best bet is immunizing against it and keeping dogs that are more susceptible away from public places all together until their immunity is up to snuff.

That being said, I don't go to dog parks, too many asshats with poorly behaved animals to suit me. Not to mention this sticky is 4 years old...

MPP

petperson
My neighbor bred a beautiful litter of American Bulldogs. He was an absolute cleanness freak. They were kept in the garage; he washed the floor 3 times a day with bleach water, along with the bars of the cage. He washed the bedding, too. He kept shoe covers, and no one was allowed to set one foot in the garage without them. (Almost no one was allowed in anyway.)

They contracted parvo at the vet's. They all died. He thought for a few days that he could save the last one, but no. You have never seen such a broken-hearted man. A real tough guy. Couldn't stop crying.

It's a horrible disease.

Actually I have a complete brain thank you. You just made my point. If you want your dog to socialize, socialize with a dog that is owned by somebody you trust as a responsible person. If you really think about it, public dog parks are built for the owners not the dogs so they can have an "isn't that cute" moment.

And these are really responsible owners right? That's why there's dog crap all over the park that some poor county employee has to pick up.

All I'm saying is that if you want your dog to run with a herd and be exposed to the risks, and Parvo obviously isn't the only one, do it on your own dime.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I didn't mean that offensively toward you, I guess I should have written it "anyone with half a brain". Sorry you took that all snotty.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
As an aside, this is definitely one of those cases were adding the "afterthought lol" doesn't cancel out the bitchiness of a post.

jimmybob

I have a question about Parvo. I had a couple dogs and we had lived in this house for years. I am guessing that it somehow got tracked into the yard. They ended up dying. I didn't know what killed them, But everyone I talk to said it sounds like parvo. Anyway my question is this. Is it safe to have a dog after you bleach everything the first time? Or do you need to wait till you bleach everything 2 or 3 times?

What and how much are the antibiotics of dogs that have parvo? My friend's dog is eating her poop. I wish she doesn't get Parvo.

paws24

I lost a lab retriever due to parvo. It happened really fast as we thought that he was just gonna be ok. The next morning when we woke up he was already dead. Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.