Any success using pee pee pads AND going outside for already trained dog?

lz06

I recently adopted a 4 year old dog. She is already housetrained. I have been crating her and she has not gone once in her crate, she goes immediately when she gets outside. Right now I have been taking her out morning, lunch break during work, and then again at night. I will no longer be able to come home during lunch.

Has anyone had any success taking the dog out in the morning and at night, and then using a pee pee pad during the day while you're gone? Thanks!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
How long are you away during the day? Dogs can often hold it just fine for a work day. Mine go about 9 hours most days, but in a pinch have gone 12, tho I prefer to have someone stop by if it's going to be more than 10.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
^ what they said.

Abrams, even as a young pup, could hold it for 10 hours. Of course potty breaks were always welcome, but he and Cynder both were fine without.

That being said, if you do offer a pee pad, there isn't anything wrong with that. Just make sure that she is able to get away from it after she's urinated. You may find that she chooses to not use the pad at all and just hold it until you're back in the evening.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I use a pee pad during the day. I come home at lunch most the time but sometimes I get hung up with a project or something. My dogs are 5 and 10 years and the 5 year old seems to need to go at least once during a work day (I work 9 hours plus 25-30 min commute Mon-Thurs). I know I couldn't hold it 10 hours so I like giving her the option to go. It works just fine and some days she uses it 3 times during the day. She almost never goes in the mornings but often does in the afternoons regardless of the lunch break or not.

She has no accidents at all. My older dog prefers not to use it but will in a pinch.

It's also been great for the rare times someone is sick.

lz06

Thank you everyone, all are very good replies. Especially because I am typically also gone 10 hours. I think I will put the pad there as an option for her to use it.

Members online

No members online now.