Agility Training

Playtime

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot.. But I'm hoping someone can suggest a next step/trainer for me and my dog.

I have a Springer Spaniel i would love to get into agility. We have just recently finished a basic obedience class, and I'm not sure what my next step should be, and who it should be with? I would like to ideally find an intermediet obedience class with a focus on agility prep if that even exists? Also looking for a trainer who is willing to work with me and my dog, as the last classes seemed to be more "do-it-yourself" - even in class. (I get a lot of the work is do-it yourself at home, but I would like more attention in the actual class.

Anyways, I'm located in north/western Durham Region (ontario)... So can travel to Newmarket, Uxbridge, Stouffville, Aurora, Mount Albert, Port Perry, Sutton, Keswick, and the areas in between!

Thanks for any suggestions!! :)

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious

adojrts

There is also Arlene Lehmann in Stouffville, she also teaches I believe at her place but not sure. Her information can be found on the Judges list at Agility Association of Canada - Association d'Agilité du Canada of course in Ontario :) And there is Sharon's Paws N Train just north-west of Lindsay.

I would recommend that no matter where you go, that you start in a foundations agility class and stay away from anyone that doesn't activity and currantly compete or have students currantly competing (and doing very well). Regardless of whether you want to compete or not, don't waste your time or money in those that don't, you and your dogs frustration will be much lower.

Btw, welcome and hopefully we'll meet at an agility trial one day. And the AAC Ontario Regional Championships and AAC National Championships are being held this year almost in your backyard in Oro, go check out all the awesome dogs and bring money..........lots and lots of vendors and cool dog stuff.

lizzybeth727

Also looking for a trainer who is willing to work with me and my dog, as the last classes seemed to be more "do-it-yourself" - even in class. (I get a lot of the work is do-it yourself at home, but I would like more attention in the actual class.
The good thing about agility vs. basic obedience, is that IME you usually do get a lot more personal attention in agility class. Part of that is because you need to use the equipment and it's often limited (there might be one A-frame, one dog walk, two or three tunnels, etc.), so only one person can go at a time. It's also because if you don't do it just right, especially in the beginning, you'll set yourself up for failure - or even injury - later down the line. So a good agility trainer should give you a good amount of personal attention.

Members online