How do you salvage...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
A voicemail gone bad? Haha.... sigh

I had to call a guy at work that I barely know and am doing some data admin stuff with. Ran into an error and called him to check it out. I get voicemail. Immediate panic. I REHEARSED though beforehand. I thought through what I'd say.

Me, "Well blah blah blah blah blah error." Etc ETc. Get to the end of the voicemail. "So if you could call me back I...am.... me... uh..." *realize the work phones show you the number of the person that called. So leaving my extension number is stupid and is assuming they can't read the screen in front of them. Then my mind goes blank. I stutter. Mumble. Finally "Uh...Bye."

Being professional he never mentioned it. But WTF. Why can't I leave a simple voicemail!

How do you end a voicemail to a coworker? Or heck just in general. I need to plan next time out.

milos_mommy

I usually leave my number anyway. It's just sort of how I was taught to leave messages as a kid, so unless it's a friend or family member, or someone who's called before, I leave my number.

Otherwise, "I'll talk to you later, thank you." is an acceptable way to end it.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I typically end with a "if you could give me a call back, that'd be great. Thanks!" Kind of how I end my emails, only oral and not typed.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Lol next time around, click the # or 0 or 1.. they will take you to the end,where you can delete the message and try again.

This is going to sound weird, but I have practiced and rehearsed my professional voicemail. I have said it so many times that it sounds natural now lol but it took some stuttered awful voicemails to get me to write this down, learn it and say it enough times SLOW ENOUGH to get it sounding just right.

Somewhere on my computer I have like 10 files of me saying this and then I would listen to them to make sure it sounded ok lol

"Hello,
this is a message for ____ ______.
This is Fransheska Smith from __________
I'm sorry I missed your call OR I'm calling because I'd like to discuss _________
Please give me a call back anytime at ###-###-####, Thank you."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You can delete voicemails!? WHY have I never heard of this. I'm totally going to call my cell tomorrow and practice that. That would save me a lot of embarrassment.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
You can delete voicemails!? WHY have I never heard of this. I'm totally going to call my cell tomorrow and practice that. That would save me a lot of embarrassment.
It depends on the brand of phone what you have to press lol but totally! 0, #, or 1 works for like 99% of phones.

I believe Iphones are #.. which will take care of most voicemails lol

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This is a desk phone with video on it. Not sure the brand. I'm going to call myself and figure it out tomorrow.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Hahaha this is news to me too. There are a couple numbers I've called where it actually asks you if you want to record a new message. And then when you screw up you can be like OH GOD YES!

In general I really hate talking on the phone, and hate leaving voicemails, but I think they usually end up sounding okay. I always leave a phone number though, even though with caller ID it's maybe not needed. Unless I'm calling like my best friend or something lol but yeah for anything else it's "you can give me a call at ###."

Just be glad it wasn't one that limits how long the message can be lol. omg those trip me up so bad! I ran into that scenario once and after like 5 seconds it cut me off... wtf? Where's my warning?! I had to try again (yes thankfully it also asked me if I was satisfied with my message at the end), and again... took a while before I could make it concise enough and talk FAST enough to get it to fit :rolleyes:

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
My mom's voicemails often start with "Hi this is.............. Doree Donovan...... or Mom....." and then the rest of the message. Usually its because she forgot who she was calling.

I was once leaving my boyfriend a message, only it wasn't my boyfriend, it was his mom (they have very similar names, Tim and Tina, and the same last name so they're right next to each other in my phone), and it... was bad. Graphic bad. Right before Thanksgiving last year! LOL!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Hi _____, this is Lauren calling from Chuck and Don's in Savage (or Shakopee, Blaine, etc.), I was just calling to let you know that your special order of ________ came in today. We will hold it in the back for you with your name on it and you can come and pick it up at your earliest convenience. If you have any questions or concerns you can call us at XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

I make this call multiple times a day, almost every day. I only have issues when someone actually picks up the phone, because I'm ready for my voicemail schpeal!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I only have issues when someone actually picks up the phone, because I'm ready for my voicemail schpeal!
lmao I hate when that happens. I'd have my voicemail message all ready to go... "This is Ally from XYZ Pet Hospital calling on behalf of Dr. So-and-so, we are just wanting to know how Rover is doing today. If you could give us a call with an update that would be great, our number is blah blah blah"..... and then someone answers the phone and it turns into "hi I'm calling from XYZ Pet Hospital... is this... um... you have a dog and..."

And if the owner actually had questions? Fuhgetaboutit. I just want to leave my rehearsed voicemail message gosh darn it.

Saeleofu

Ugh, I hate voicemail. But I hate people actually answering even more lol. I have to make reminder calls for classes at work, and this past weekend I made my first call, got to the end where I was supposed to leave a number, and realized...I don't KNOW the number :rofl1: So that was probably the most awkward voice mail I have ever left lol. Afterwards I wrote down the number and put it in front of me for the rest of the calls!

I can't really tell you how to salvage a voicemail, it seems there is no good way to end them.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
My dad and grandmother both always leave their numbers even though my dad's had the same number for a decade and my grandmother has had the same number for 30 plus years. It always makes me smile. I don't think leaving your number is ever a bad thing.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My practiced voicemail is most often:

"Hi, this is Andrea, I'm calling from Blah Blah Animal Hospital. I just wanted to let you know that we have Fluffy's fecal results back and no parasites were seen. If you have any questions, you can give us a call back at 555-555-5555. Thanks!"

This occasionally varies with, "Hi, this is Andrea, I'm calling from Blah Blah Animal Hosptial. I just wanted to let you know that we have Fluffy's fecal results back and he tested positive for XYZ. Dr. So and So has prescribed XYZ medication and we have that filled for you and you can pick it up at your earliest convenience. *Little blurb about the medication/dosing instructions* If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call at 555-555-5555. Thanks!"

Love that the most frequent phone calls I make to clients are about their pet's poop. LOL

ETA: And I always HATE it when people pick up their phone, because I don't know who I'm speaking with. So I first have to guess if the "hello" I heard was a male or female voice, and then I have to figure out how to pronounce the clients name. There have been a few times I just say fudge it, and I don't even ask who I'm speaking with, I just say right away, "This is Andrea, I'm calling from Blah Blah Animal Hospital...?" and hope they make a noise of recognition so I can continue on. LOL

And I absolutely HATE trying to end a conversation. Especially with the fecal results, because I just have to say literally one sentence. Some people say "Thanks!" and that's good enough for me, so I say, "Your welcome, have a good day." and we proceed to hang up on one another. But other people don't say anything and then I have to be like, "And that's all I needed, so unless you have any questions..." UGH.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
And I absolutely HATE trying to end a conversation. Especially with the fecal results, because I just have to say literally one sentence. Some people say "Thanks!" and that's good enough for me, so I say, "Your welcome, have a good day." and we proceed to hang up on one another. But other people don't say anything and then I have to be like, "And that's all I needed, so unless you have any questions..." UGH.
Hahaha yeah or you tell them it's negative and they go "okay...." like they're waiting for something else. And there is nothing else. Bah.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
hahhaa depends on if it is my immediate co workers or a level above ,

higher ups get the polite voice "will you please call me back , i am at extension 118.

other dispatcher "get , hey bitch call me now before i sink ya boat" or some other such profanity filled ridculasness

Saeleofu

But other people don't say anything
Ugh, I called someone last weekend to remind them they're registered for a class, and all I got was heavy breathing and a click.

chaospony

Don't have much to add, I always screw up leaving voicemails too and if someone answers forget it, I'm done!

But I have gotten into the habit of saying my number at the beginning of the message and again at the end. Nothing more annoying than not quite catching the number and having to listen to the whole message again. We go through this multiple times a day at work. Often when the kids are down for their naps and the answering machine is magically up at full volume again!

The worst is when I have to leave a voicemail to someone and there are other people around me in addition to the person getting my voicemail that get to listen to my awkward rambling message.

I was once leaving my boyfriend a message, only it wasn't my boyfriend, it was his mom (they have very similar names, Tim and Tina, and the same last name so they're right next to each other in my phone), and it... was bad. Graphic bad. Right before Thanksgiving last year! LOL!
I read this last night and just kept giggling. Poor you, that must have been so awkward

Members online

No members online now.