Oh good god.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
So there is a guns & ammo store that my parents go to now and then that has a dog - an APBT. He was always a nice dog, and my mom would always pet him and tell him how cute he is. Well today, my mom comes home and tells me all about how they wouldn't let her pet him today because he's become aggressive, and "snaps at people, and went after the mail lady". They told my mom his behavioral problems are because he thinks he's alpha, that because they let him greet people all the time, he thinks he's allowed to say who can enter and who cannot. I told my mom that this is complete and utter trash, and that if a previously social, outgoing dog suddenly becomes aggressive, that they should have him checked for a medical problem, perhaps a thyroid imbalance. Also, it seems to me that being around a lot of people all the time would be great socialization, not a cause of aggression! It sounds like this dog might have something wrong in the head.

The dog is kept behind the counter, so the public isn't direct danger, but still, I wonder why they are continuing to bring a dog with these problems to the store in the first place?? It certainly doesn't help with the breed's image. *shakes head* I only hope this dog doesn't become the next headline.

bubbatd

I would say that they are grooming him to be a guard dog ,,, and who could blame them .

Maura

Sounds more like a training issue to me. Some store dogs are trained to pretty much stay in a certain area, or go to a place when told to. Others are "self trained" to do what is proper. Self training doesn't work very well, and they are paying the price.

Members online