Was in Heat for three weeks... How long before we can go to the dog park

Dawn Weichler

Pouncy Puppy
My 7 month old Kwanita was in heat for three weeks... I had her scheduled to be spayed and she went into heat before the appointment so we had to cancel... Now that she is through the cycle I don't know if she is still able to get pregnant or not... I have never had a Bitch go into heat before... They have always been spayed well before that time... She had been sick therefore was unable to get her done earlier... And I just don't know what to expect... We love to go to the dog park but I don't know when it will be safe to do that again... How long before we can go again... Any advice???

Boemy

I too think it's safer to just wait until the spay is done. And ounce of prevention, right? :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
1 week after she is done bleeding. That way the boys whont be as interested in her. Most are firtile somewere from day 10 to 16 although it can varry. If you know when your dog is going to go into heat and are carefull there is no reason why an intact dog cant go to a dog park.

doberkim

Naturally Natural
Actually, most dog parks have rules against intact dogs being there (all the ones near me do), so she may not be allowed to go, period.

And Jenn -
bitches are MOST fertile after bleeding (proestrus) - that is when estrus actually starts, and when a bitch will allow a male to mount her. Your advice is exactly how to GET a dog pregnant...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Agreed. Spay your girl, then go to the park. If there is any scent from beginning to end you can cause havok for everyone including your neighbors if they have an intact male.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
While I agree with the camp above, we have an intact bitch who has escaped her spay three times now. Clever little bitch. :p We wait 3-4 weeks AFTER her heat to take her out in public- better safe than sorry. :)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Kim - I was told by our vet that 10 - 16 days after the bitch starts her heat cycle is when they are probably most firtile.

I would wait another week to be on the safe side.

Some parks do have a rule that no intact dogs are allowed to go. Lucky mine isnt, or Blaze wouldnt beabe to go, or I may just break the rules for him any way, not like you can even tell if he is male or female (which every one thinks he is) from all his hair anyway lol

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
every bitch is different. I know plenty that will allow ties when they are on day 1 or day 28.

Make sure you bathe her well...pheremones can linger and cause interest for weeks and weeks.

Members online

No members online now.