Advice on leaving dogs home alone

Lench

My partner and I would like to get a Rottweiller puppy. I fully understand the demands in raising and looking after a dog etc, but we are full time workers and would be out 9.00-5.00 every weekday.

I would like some ideas in looking after it, like having someone come over to spend some time with it each day etc, any other ideas or anything that can help me out would be appreciated.

Thanks

My first advice would be to time getting a puppy for a long weekend (NOT Christmas!!) so you will have extended time periods during the initial adjustment. BUT don't spend every moment with the puppy; you want to get it used to being alone. You'll want to leave for gradually extended times: 15 minutes, 30 minutes, you get the idea.

You'll need a puppy proofed room and safe toys. No stuffed toys for unsupervised pups, please! And don't buy them at someplace like WalMart. I've seen some toys there that were horribly unsafe.

Having someone come over and take the dog out during the day is a good idea. If you plan on doing this, be sure to spend special time socializing your puppy with this person; just make certain this is someone you can trust! After all, you'll be letting them spend time not only caring for your puppy, but this person will be making friends with your dog and will be able to do anything they want in your home while you are gone!

There are about a million other things to mention, but this is a start, and you'll get lots and lots of good advice from other members.

Perhaps the best advice I can give you would be to please consider a rescue of an adult dog. Working all day, it is much easier on you and your dog if all the puppy training stuff is over, and these rescued adults seem to just know what you've done for them and make the most wonderful, loving companions. I've never regretted a single moment of the time I've had with any of the adult dogs I've had the privilege to bring into my - our - home.

A-MEN the that Renee! One trip to your local shelter will change you forever! Never will I buy a dog/puppy from a breeder. There are so many grown up doggies that need homes. They have already been thru the destructive stages and many are already housetrained!!! How much more could you ask for?!

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Or even if you're still set on a puppy, check local rescues for an older puppy. A 6 month old puppy is still just as active, but not quite as time demanding as a 9 to 12 week old pup would be.

I still think a trip to your local shelter is the best idea. I found the sweetest Rottweiler at the local shelter in my search for a Doberman. She was skin and bones, but boy was she a sweethaert. Even in the brief time I spent with her, all she wanted to do was please.

Members online

No members online now.