Antler Shed hunting?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Who here does this and when is a good time of year to find shed antlers? Do you bring your dogs with you when you hunt for shed antlers or do you go out on your own? Does anyone on here have dogs that they have trained to find antlers???

We have a ton of foresty area where I am right now and I see deer all the time. Would love to get some antlers for the dogs.

MicksMom

Deer shed their antlers in the fall. It's highly unlikely that you'd find any left on the ground now- critters like chipmunks, squirrels, porcupines chew them, too. There are a couple of people on other boards who have trained their dogs to find shed antlers.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
The Whitetails around here do not shed their antlers in the fall because breeding season is in the fall and they need them for fighting.
In Wisconsin deer drop their antlers late December and January. the best time to go looking is after the January thaw if you can stand slopping around in the wet ground. But the January thaw only last a few days to a week and then the snows come back.

I do bring my dogs but their arn't actually trained to find them. I have only found one shed in the years I've looked.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Tyler and I have not gone antler hunting yet, but Tylers boss goes regularly, since he lives on a few thousand acres. I know this winter he went hunting already, mostly for the moose antlers, he had a good idea where they dropped them. And I know he goes in the early spring when the snow melts.

Shakou

I'd like to do this sometime. We live in northern AZ, on the edge of a national forest. There are elk and deer EVERYWHERE.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I think I might go out this week to see if I can find some. Probably take Bamm with. Have to seriously watch out for copperheads around here though, but I'm definitely going to see if I can find any.

My mom was just telling me that her boss goes out and looks for them and has picked up a few. If the weather ever stops sucking and I can make it out to the trails I really should keep my eyes open for some.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Unfortunately the only antlers my dogs have ever found were still attached to the deer. The deer were dead, I grant you, but still.

The hunters were I used to live apparently weren't keen on tracking wounded deer into thickets :/

Tazwell

Fleetwood and I go shed hunting. The whitetail deer here have not yet shed their antlers. I watch them everyday at our feeder. We practice with old sheds that I have from years prior, up until we actually go out.

Basically we started playing fetch with the antlers, then I began placing it and sending him out to get it. Then I began hiding it, in increasingly difficult locations and distances. I added "rack wax" starting earlier this year to the sheds, which seems to help him scent the antlers a little better. At some point in there I started working the "find a bone" cue into it.

I'll have to post a vid if I can find one.

SaraB

We search around this time of the year and in the spring when the snow melts. I take the dogs, but they aren't trained in hunting sheds.

Members online

No members online now.