Nikon D40 VS D50

S

Squishy22

For the people who are familiar with both cameras. Which is the better camera in your opinion?

I am looking for a used camera and I came across a D50, but dont know much about them, and didnt even know they existed. If I am not mistaken, the D50 is the pricier camera, right? I loved the D40 I used to have, so I am a little uneasy about getting a different model. But with what I've read about the D50, I think I'm gonna go for it. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I thought it skipped right from D40 to D40x to D60.. ive never even heard of the D50.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Nope, there is a D50! I think, correct me if i'm wrong, the D50 is an older model?

I think it would go D40, D50, D40x, D60.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The D50 is an older model and was replaced by the D40 and the D60. Nikon doesn't seem to go in order much it comes to model numbers. It's not a lot older, was only discontinued when the D40/60 came out. I picked mine up right after it was crossed out.

Saje

Island dweller
I believe the d50 has a better light meter then the d40 but the d40 is lighter and more user friendly. I believe that the d40's battery lasts longer as well.

I worry about you getting a used camera. Digital slrs don't last as long as the old slrs. The d50 came out in '05 so the warranty is long gone. If it was me I'd only get a used dslr after it had been checked out by nikon and came with a certificate. The d70 I bought worked for about 50 clicks and then crapped out. I got it fixed and got about 50 more clicks and then it crapped out again. And I even bought it with a certificate but it was from the US and shipped to Canada. So I'm a bit jaded.

S

Squishy22

Oh ok, now I understand better.

Saje, what you say makes me have second thoughts. Maybe I should wait a little longer and just buy new. The last thing I want is to pay a few hundred for crap. I'd be beyond pissed. Hmmm...

S

Squishy22

Ok, now THIS caught my eye...

Nikon D70 with extras

They didnt give too much info as far as how many clicks and how old the camera is. But dang... D70 for $400 bucks! I'd like to go look at it...

Members online

No members online now.