An Open Letter to a New Dog Breeder

jason_els

Congratulations!

Breeding is SO expensive. I couldn't begin to afford it! Knowing that I could expect to incur several thousand dollars from now until the puppies are disposed of and if a bitch has problems the costs can double so easily! Fortunately, you'll have to have the puppies tested for genetic and physical defects, temperament tests, microchipping, initial vaccinations, as well and you've set aside about $10,000 for the entire enterprise.

You've spent time with GSD breeders who have recommended breeding your bitch and this post is just a blip of excited concern. You're working with a recognized GSD breeder for a mentor, have interested buyers lined-up, the time to spend at home with the pups in your home for a few months, and are starting a reputable kennel with the backing of existing breeders to help you so that your pups will find homes where they are wanted and will likely receive life-long good care.

You're breeding a champion bitch to a champion dog, will perform the proper tests, and have proven your breeding stock in competition.

Of course, as a reputable breeder you will unequivocally take any or all of the puppies back if their future owners aren't happy with them, you will spay or neuter the dogs who will not make good breeding stock, and you have set aside money and space for that.

I'm pleased to know you're not a, "Backyard Breeder," thinking only about how cute it would be to have puppies without having investigated just how much time, knowledge, and money you need to see a litter safely out the door. If you hadn't, you wouldn't know statistics say that most, if not all, of your puppies would be in shelters or dead before their first birthday.

Thank goodness you haven't done any of those things so I can't complain about all the puppies you'll have brought into the world when so many other dogs need homes; not to mention the cost out of our collective pockets for shelter care and eventual euthanasia for those pups who don't find homes or are given-up after they cease to be cute puppies.

Congratulations again and our best for your success in the world of GSD breeding!

Members online

No members online now.