Our Puppy Smells...

Hello...

Just wondering if anyone who's had a puppy has noticed a "fish" smell to their dog? Our Geddy definitely has a nasty smell to her, and we're wondering if something is up with her health. On the weekend we had an accident... my hubby was going out the back door without Geddy (or so her thought) but she followed him out and her tail got caught in the door. Nothing seems to be broken, and she seems to be just fine now. But after it happened we could really smell the fishy smell.

I'm pretty sure that puppies are supposed to smell good, and you should be able to smell puppy breath... but for our girl it's mostly her other end that we smell.

When we picked her up she was on antibiotics b/c one of her sisters had puppy vaginitis. The other girls were put on the antibiotics in order to stave-off any potential problems. Does it sound probable that she has developed a problem anyways?? When we take her outside for potty breaks still will squat in a couple different spots in our yard for a pee.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Sandra

She is a Golden Retriever, 11 weeks old btw.

DryCreek

Usually a fishy type smell from the back end of a dog means that they need their anal glands expressed. My suggestion is to take her to the vets and get her looked at, and if it's required, they can express the glands for you. When a dog has normal firm bowel movements, these glands are emptied during the process of defecation. If they aren't cleaned out during a bowel movement, they fill up and get a very nasty fishy smell. Good luck with your new pup:)

Debi

could be possibly a yeast infection from the antibiotics. best check back with the vet.

Chemikal

Yeah. Sounds like something to do with her bowels being backed up. Whats was her appitite like before the accident? What is it now? Whats her bowel movents like hard or soft? I dont think the accident had something to do with this if it was just her tail. Has she been groomed (bathed) Sometimes you just need to scrub the pup. My dog had a foul smell too and I was walking through the house and thought he left me a little present but then when I set near him I knew it was him that wreaked. If you havent bathed her try that. If you have. It might be a back up. Sometimes dogs carry fieces on their body after they go potty

Yep, anal glands. And puppies always smell weird to me, ahaha

You should have this pup checked for vaginitis too.

JESSIE...: I LOVE your signature !!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
ACK anal glands. Cats get that too. I had a cat that had to have his expressed regularly for years. Terrible odor. Ver powerful odor when you express them. Ugh.

give them a bath maybe they they just need a bath. ive had pacho only for one day she smells like outside but she dont stink yet.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It sounds like the door catching her tail scared her enough to where she expressed/squirted her anal glands. It's a defensive reaction, don't know the background behind it, but when a dog gets incredibly scared, they will "shoot" their glands, which smells like horribly rich rotten fish.

I was pet-sitting a Chow puppy over the summer and somehow the vent register he was sitting on shut on his tail and he took off running to get away from it...the vent cover followed him and he was so scared he squirted.

Members online

No members online now.