My Shih-tzu ate some chocolate. Please help

I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??

I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??
I'd still call the Vet. The shivering is a worry and due to her size I'd just be on the safe side. If it was several hours ago the theobromine is already in her system, I don't know what they can do but please call them anyway.

Good luck and please give us an update post, I'll be thinking of you and wondering..

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Yes definately call the vet. Tell them what you told us and they can decide what to do about it.

Chocolate in small doses isn't bad per se but a dog's system can not handle theobromine and with such a small dog it wouldn't take much. Also it depends on what kind of chocolate you used (baker's chocolate being the worst)

Thanks everyone. She is running around like her normal maniac self again so I am not worried anymore. I will still keep a close eye on her though. Thanks again!!!!

for_dogs_sake

Hannibal and Ralphies Mom
Please take her to the vets NOW, or an emergency clinic.
Was it dark/cooking chocolate? This choc contains 10 times more theobromine than milk choc and is particularly toxic.
Even though she may seem ok now the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours and death can follow in a further 24 hours.

I dont want to be a scare monger but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Besides, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning include tremors, Hyperactivity, vomiting (you have already mentioned these three) as well as diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and seizures.
I would feel better if you seek veterinary advice/attention and please let us know how she is.

Chemikal

Chocolate is a toxic thing for any animal. Vets told me with lucky to keep him off chocolate cause he has epselepsy. I cant give him anything with sugar in it. I dont think sugar is good for animals. I also agree to take him to the vet. Theyll probably give him a diaretic to make him "lose" the chocolate

There's not sugar in my dogs food.

Please take your dog to the vet ASAP.

You may need to induce vomiting to get it out of his system. The vet will either give him an injection, oryou can have him swallow a LITTLE BIT of peroxide

Members online

No members online now.