Rethinking Dog Parks/

BSan

The concerns mentioned are things to think about. We have no dog park at this time, but I have heard of a group of people getting together to raise funds to sponsor one. With all of the things mentioned, it would be good for me to get in on those meetings to find out what they have in mind. I guess there are risks, but I sure would like to see my dog be able to run free in a large area to his hearts content, be socialized and be able to play. He loves to run, and we live in the city with a medium size yard...... When my daughter was away at college, she took the dogs she fostered to a nearby dog park. One dog she fostered really needed the exercise and socialization and loved it. She did tell me that the park was not monitored as far as vaccinations, etc., but that most people were responsible with their dogs. I feel a little mixed about it, but I think a visit to the park, and getting a feel for what dogs are running around that particular day, as Bobs mentioned is probably a good idea.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Ohh I think it's such a shame that things are obviously so different in the States that you have to be so apprehensive about taking your dogs to a dog park. Our guys just think it's the best thing in their lives, and we would never miss it - it's a daily event, they are so happy there and it breaks up their exercise routine. It's seriously just the norm where I live. I don't think anyone would even consider the dangers you guys face (and I know they are real and genuine dangers) because the same things just don't seem to happen here. We have taken Chester and Ruby to a number of different off-leash parks and there has never been a single issue, with them or any other dog. Most dogs where I live are taken to parks off leash from the second they get their last lot of vaccinations as a puppy - in fact a very common sight is to see new dog owners with little pups teaching them recall off leash at dog parks. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, you make some really good friends, and (even though it sounds silly) your dogs do, too. Chester and Ruby's best friends are two Golden Retriever sisters called Tess and Goldie. We met them at our local park when they were all the same age and size, and they adore each other. Their owners babysit our guys when we need it, and vice versa, and all four of them have a ball together. There are so many dogs we've become friends with. Bob, the little poodle guy, Cass the Boxer, Jeannie the Beagle, Tess and Goldie of course, Murray the crazy Bernese Mountain Dog (park hussy), a funny little staffie that clacks his jaw all the time, Pip, the Border Collie, Max and Harley the crazy Labradoodles and Ruby the Pug - and so many more. We love them all! They look forward to seeing each other and we look forward to seeing them. Our guys also go to daycare once a week, where they run free with about 15 to 20 other dogs for about nine hours and come home so exhausted - they were there today, they don't even eat when they get home they just go straight to bed. It's awesome. Ruby is snoring under the desk as we speak!

I wish you guys could all come here so that you can experience dog parks and know that your dogs and you will be safe - they are just the BEST. Here is a little snippet of video of what it's like at our local river park - a bit boring but you can see a little bit of how all the dogs get along - and we don't know these guys it was the first time they'd all met. My dogs are the black and the gold Labradoodles. There are only two others in this footage but all up at the park there were probably close to 30 dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1KjYuBcl4

Last edited:
our dog park

Our dog park you have to be a member--to be a member you must show proof of rabies and all other required vaccinations (this counts even for day pass buyers). You get a card which you have to swipe to get into the park (no one else can enter). I have never seen anything bad happen. Sometimes two dogs will go from play fighting to that "grrr..i'm on edge" but the owners are always watching their dogs and will intervene. I've seen that like twice in the 50 times we've went.

BSan

Membership with a card swipe is an interesting option.
Ruby, I watched your mini video...........a park complete with water! My dog would be in doggy heaven!! Is the area fenced in with a high fence?

I haven't taken my dogs to a dog park. Binn would have fun but Stella would probably be a big bully.

Members online

No members online now.