Ugh, status symbol dogs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Registration papers. For a wolf.

You know, with the freaking WKC or some **** like that.

-_-

The derp is strong with this one.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Cannot believe she was so incredibly civil and receptive to what I told her. She now believes the dog is just a husky mix.

Maybe there are still sane people in the world after all.
I cannot believe this breeder exists though. I wish there were something I could do.

I originally had the impression they were in South Carolina, but apparently they're in Virginia. The 8 week law, last I checked, was still in place there. They directly broke it, and also lied about the content.

I told her about the red wolf endangerment as well. She seemed to catch on very quickly. I think this was an impulse buy, they simply knew no better. I sometimes forget, not everyone started reading dog books when they were four years old, and not everyone prefers to learn about dogs more than clothes, hair and makeup. Oh well.

I told her she needs to be extra vigilant in socialization, and she seemed very open about it. She said she'll being looking into socializing wolfdogs now, just in case she does have a significant enough content to be an issue. I truly hope this dog is just a plain old husky mix.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
She has another dog, a purebred Siberian Husky, so she is clearly attracted to this type of dog. Wish she would've just gotten another Husky, adopted one, instead.

Impulse buys make me so furious when they end up like this.

WHY CAN'T EVERYONE BE LIKE US?

Picklepaige

I dunno, one of those looks pretty "wolfy."

Check out Bella under the photo album page. She is the only one who looks like a wolf to me.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
The sire of her puppy is Onyx (he looks exactly like a Husky mix I know that has GSD in his bloodlines). I believe the dam is the only Sibe they have.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Bella is definitely a wolfdog. The other animals don't look wolfy to me. Onyx looks mostly dog but there's a couple things about him that make me think possibly very low content. I'm no expert though.

Does she know about proper fencing for a WD?

Lyzelle

By "husky" mix, do you mean a Sibe mix or just a general fluffy dog sled breed type mix?

A Sibe x Wolf mix is a disaster waiting to happen. They might look alike, but their temperaments are waaayyy off on different sides of the spectrum. I scanned the thread, so I'm sorry if I missed it, but are there any hybrid laws in your area? I know many states have banned them.

Best of luck to the owner and the dog. I'm glad she listened to you, and now understands the possibilities of what might happen. Unfortunately, the only place for these types of canine to go after the owner is overwhelmed is sanctuaries, and even they often turn down these dogs.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
You'll have to specify which instance where I said husky mix you mean, because I think I did it several times in different contexts. :p

As far as I know, there are no laws banning wolfdogs in Virginia. I, however, live in Canada, and they are banned here.

I will give her those links about containment, much appreciated. Like I said, she seems very receptive to all of this. I wish more people could be like that when they are called out about their impulse buys. I told her about how many of these guys end up in sanctuaries (when I lived there, I wanted to do that with my life, but now that I live in Canada, I don't think it is an option). She didn't even know that. Serious lack of research on her part.

Looking at their site, the only dog that has a lick of wolf in her is Bella, and I'd say she is a low-mid at best. Charlotte is all Husky- 25% red wolf my butt.

Spirit is most certainly not a high content, not with those feet, that huge ear set, and pink nails. Looks like a lot of Tamaskan's to me. Onxy has no wolf in him either by my eye. To be supposedly that high of a content and not have a pre-cadual marking or a v-cape? Looks like a black GSD mix to me.

I would also totally be willing to link my friend to the page and get her opinions. She's very involved in wolf dog rescue and any thing I know I know because of her, lol.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Can you please explain precaudal markings and the v cape? Bella and onyx were the only two that caught my eye as looking more wolfish than the rest.

Can you please explain precaudal markings and the v cape? Bella and onyx were the only two that caught my eye as looking more wolfish than the rest.
Sure. A V cape is longer guard hairs forming over the shoulders leading to the back in the shape of a V. Isn't a tell tale sign as it pops up in other breeds, especially northern breeds, but you'd definitely see it in a high content wolf dog. Oddly enough, my foster USED to have a v-cape, but it all eventually fell away. Looked like this:

A precaudal marking is a gland in the base of a wolfs tail, but it's also seen on a lot of breeds (non working, though) but wouldn't be lacking in a high content:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Thank you! That was interesting, I've seen some dogs with v capes, mostly northern breed puppies, but they seem to always lose it as they age. I've also see the spot on the tail of some dogs in German shepherds, but again, mostly northern breeds, with no known wolf content at all, and the gsds assuredly none.

I like learning interesting things like that. Its how I win at trivia night. :p

Saeleofu

Ughhhhhh :wall:

When I was a kid we had a dog that we highly, highly suspected was a wolf mix (probably no more than 25% TOPS though). She was always a bit off. Overall she was a pretty good dog, and was my mom's heart dog, but you definitely HAD to be careful around her.

Thank you! That was interesting, I've seen some dogs with v capes, mostly northern breed puppies, but they seem to always lose it as they age. I've also see the spot on the tail of some dogs in German shepherds, but again, mostly northern breeds, with no known wolf content at all, and the gsds assuredly none.

I like learning interesting things like that. Its how I win at trivia night. :p
The only thing that makes it a little confusing with v capes (for me, anyway) is that some people say they need not only be long enough guard hairs in the v shape formation, but also the appropriate markings of lighter guard hairs with darker bands of color towards the bottom before it's a "true v cape" It makes it even more confusing when a totally Bully looking dog like Elsa has what would be considered a true v cape (can't tell in the photo, but the guard hairs were very tan while the shorter hair is a chocolate color)

These things I know garner me nothing except in VERY rare circumstances someone will ask, and I will know, and my boyfriend will say "That is coming to you from Steph's bank of largely useless knowledge." :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.