Vacation photos!

A

Angel Chicken

After much deliberation, we decided to ditch the Ohio idea since we couldn't find much to do there that was kid friendly.

We found an AMAZING deal on an oceanfront hotel, and decided to take a trip to Daytona to see the space shuttle Endeavour (Mission STS-127) launch from Kennedy Space Center.

Driving down

El Cheapo! :lol-sign:

Welcome to Georgia

Welcome to Florida

Almost there!

Daytona Beach

I LOVED all the wildlife there. Where we were, we saw so many things... the first day we decided to eat dinner at a restaurant on the pier, and as we were enjoying our food, we saw dolphins playing in the ocean. Didn't get pics of that, but here are some others.

Snowy Egret... this little guy was so cute, he was playing in the waves!

Some sort of little brown bird... anyone recognize?

Seagull eating breakfast

Pelicans! Never seen any before, I was baffled!

***more in next post***

A

Angel Chicken

Egret in the waves

Rob showing the boyz how to Body board

Kung-Fu Johnny!
(I asked him what he was up to, and he said he was kung-fu'ing the waves LOL)

Pelican in the early morning (about 6AM)

MORE!

A

Angel Chicken

Sunrise Photos... it was seriously breathtaking. I sat out there for awhile, just me, the sunrise, my camera and coffee. It was great.

Egrets doing some fishing

Sun coming up

Kennedy Space Center Tour

We went to the launch date, only to find it was scrubbed due to lightening hitting the launch pad. So we went home and decided to come back the next day, stay all day so we can tour all of KSC, and watch the launch.

The kids loved KSC. They learned so much, and even Johnny (who we thought wouldn't have much interest in it) loved it....he says he wants to be an astronaut now!

Vehicle Assembly Building (where they put the shuttle together)

Launchpad

Saturn 5 rocket

Rover!

***MORE!***

A

Angel Chicken

Johnny and Matt checking out what it was like inside Apollo

Moon Lander!

Saturn 5 rocket again

Astro-Van

Presentation about Apollo and the first moon mission

Johnny touching a moon rock

Johnny and Matt checking out the International Space Station

T-38 and the boyz

Rocket Garden (Johnny and myself walking to it)

EVEN MORE!

A

Angel Chicken

So, after touring KSC, we set-up to watch the launch... until...

That storm rolled in just as the 9 minute hold was lifted. So the launch was scrubbed AGAIN! Told us to come back the next day (Monday).

Since we toured most of KSC, we decided to stay at the beach until time to leave for the launch.

Dad and Boyz again

Johnny buried in the sand

After, we went to the launch, and it was scrubbed AGAIN for weather. We were frustrated, it was the 3rd time we had been out there, we were supposed to leave the next day, and we were really wanting to see a launch since the shuttle program will be discontinued next year. Not to mention all the traffic. Needless to say, we were pretty bummed. On our way home, Rob was talking to his mother about it, and about how we couldn't afford to stay until the next launch attempt, which was Wednesday. She told us not to worry of it, to stay the extra days, and she would foot the bill (how sweet is that?!). So since our hotel was booked in Daytona, we packed up and went to a hotel much closer to the launch in Titusville.

Final Tour of KSC

The boyz, sporting their new KSC shirts

It FINALLY happened on Wednesday.

Some former Astronaut

The Launch!

**few more**

A

Angel Chicken

All in all, it was a fantastic vacation. I had one hell of a time, and it was nice to have Rob around for the past 2 weeks!

Enjoy!

bubbatd

Neat shots !!!! Looks like the boys had a blast ! Love the water shots !

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Amazing shots!
Im super jealous, I've always wanted to go see a Launch. Hopefully I will be able to one day.
Yall look yall had oodles of fun there, thats great!

Cool pics, I think the little birds you weren't sure about are called sand pipers...I could be wrong though.

Also, to get a perspective on how large the VAB building is. If i remember correctly, a bus could drive on each of the stripes on the American flag on the side of the building.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Awwwww, I live in Deland, it was on the sign you took a picture of. :)

My sisters boyfriend tried to go see it twice to, but he flew out the next day, so he didn't get too.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I really enjoyed all your pics, especially the ones on the beach; oh how I miss the beach now that I'm living in TN. Thanks for the memories. I grew up on Long Island and lived at the beach during the summer.

Hey, we were in Daytona at the same time!!!!:D I loved getting to see the launch, though we watched from the beach in daytona. The dolphins played in the surf every morning, and one day there were about 15 they played for about an hour it was sooo cool. The only thing I missed was being able to take the dogs, they would have loved chasing all the birds and dolphins...LOL.
Looks like you had a great time. I too love sitting on the beach with my coffee all alone and watching the sunrise. Then sitting on the beach all day with a good book and a cooler full of ice water. (bet ya'll thought I was gonna say something else:rofl1: )

Members online

No members online now.