The dog musing/vent thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
*sigh* I miss having a dog that snubbed everyone but me and the family :( I can't stand a embarrassingly friendly dog :wall: and I have one right now, the rescue male we call "drover" (who used to be Buddy) after Hank the Cowdog's idiot sidekick lol.

I try to raise them to not like strangers, I will reward them positively for turning away from strangers and redirect them if they try to engage them.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Hiked three hours of the Ice Age trail with Roxie today. She did an excellent job, pulling me up hills and helping to keep me from falling on the down slopes and where there was ice. I LOVE my Stillwater ring harness. It's great for hiking.

I wish we could have done a longer hike, but Roxie's not used to pulling consistently for that long in that kind of situation just yet, after our long winter break so I had to turn back. Also, we left later than I'd hoped and I've never hiked any portion of it, so didn't want to get lost.

Another bonus- came across four off-leash dogs (the trail said dogs had to be leashed, but then we saw a sign later on that it's only after April 15th) but none tried to eat Roxie. That is incredibly uncommon, to come across FOUR dogs that're all friendly.

Anyways. New goal for me and Roxie. See exactly how far we can hike that trail in a day. As well as to get both of us over our fears of seeing loose dogs. Roxie's not super reactive, she just gets stiff and is always ready for action, not moving until the other dog is far from her sight. I... just hold my dog (as there is NO moving her, except for picking her up and that can encourage a dog to attack us both, giving me no way to really protect either of us), ready to keep her safe from any action. andthenIshakeforawhileafterwards.

All in all, good progress. I <3 hiking with my dog.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Started Frodo on Metacam a couple days ago. It is obviously having a good effect. He is super up and happy heeling, and snappy sits. I hope this continues!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
My parents are good people but they don't listen to me about the dogs ... Of course their dogs they can do how they see fit, but mine they trunk do throngs their way with.

I am a "pick my battles" person when it comes to the dogs, Josefina is a digger ... But she also is not trying to escape from the yard anymore and is overall trying to be a good dog ... So I let her have her digging fun. I also have separated their other dog and her when no one can be out with them. They got mad be sued I took their dog away and not her, it was their dog was causing the problems and starting all the fights. I just don't want to have two severely injured dogs :(.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Nobody in my family ever listens to me about the dogs. I don't even offer any advice anymore-why waste my breath.
I know exactly how that feels.
It's like, I've only spent how much of my time dedicating it to training, and learning about dogs? But sure, your untrained dogs and worldly experience and obviously trumps mine.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno starts her agility for fun class today yaaaaayyyyyy!

Okay, it's the same class we took 2 (3??) years ago, but she won't care :rofl1: Super curious to see if she still hates the a-frame, or if she'll be brave.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams officially sat pretty today! He sat up, held his feet correctly, and stayed in that position!!!! :D Omigod, he was so freaking cute!!! :D Only issue was then I got excited so he started offering pretties and then launching himself skyward...but then he did it again!!

If he makes this is default he'll get anything he wants. He's freaking adorable.

Saeleofu

For the first time, I saw not one but TWO judges withhold ribbons (in one case withheld 1st place and handed out 2nd place, in the other 3 cases withheld them completely). The dogs in question were declared "overly massive" (obese) when compared to the breed standard.

SpringerLover

For the first time, I saw not one but TWO judges withhold ribbons (in one case withheld 1st place and handed out 2nd place, in the other 3 cases withheld them completely). The dogs in question were declared "overly massive" (obese) when compared to the breed standard.
It's a start!

iriskai

I always gain a little respect for a judge willing to withhold.

We had our first UKC venture today. Mimi ended up with a handful of flat ribbons (adult female 1st, best female, best of winners and best of breed) and group second in both shows. Ezzie got best (only!) male and behaved very nicely for my friend, who I train agility with but has never shown conformation! I think she had more fun than she thought she would. :)

I haven't decided entirely what I think of UKC vs. AKC. I don't dislike it by any means, and I'd definitely attend another convenient local show, but I do miss the showmanship aspect of AKC. I like feeling like I've actually earned something and having an extra second to "show" the dog.

Members online

No members online now.