Trick of the Week: Cross your paws!

Tazwell

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hL6_ySD1tlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...Well...How are we supposed to follow that act? Jeeze, Fleetwood. Way to make it look easy. lol

I'll probably try this with Boone tonight, but I have a feeling this will be a really hard one for him. Especially since I've been teaching him the side hop thing.

k9krazee

Go Fleetwood!!!!!

I taught Jack this many years ago, I don't remember how and I'm brainstorming how I want to start with Crossbone.

Tazwell

Fleetwood is a show off, he even shows me up most of the time, Haha! We are going to start this week learning to cross paws both ways. I haven't up until now because I was worried that he would be confused between cross paws and his other trick, the 'embarassed' one!

And Fleetwood sets the bar high. :D

So I started to lure this, and then he got bored and frustrated and the thing that happens in the third video in this post happened, so I played around with that for awhile. Then I decided to try to lure by starting with him shaking with one paw across the other. I may go back to shaping once the thing that happened isn't so fresh in his memory, though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D_WNVaAYG7Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HxmIFztcblQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a frustrated Squash, spontaneously doing something that I've always wanted to teach him but never had any success with. So I decided to roll with it. :p

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JYanAgSno3o?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Fleetwood obviously has this trick covered lol.

And LOL @ Squash, I kind of love when their frustration ends up being something awesome :p

I am in the process of trying to upload our first session, but my computer hates doing this and will probably take all evening. :rolleyes:

Taqroy

Fleetwood is adorable and I love the embarrassed trick. So cute!

I freaking love Squash! And I'm impressed that he can target your hand without clawing you. Are you going for burrito dog in the third video? I've been wanting to teach that forever.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F_hTqHDWQXM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like how her body is in the process of turning 90 degrees. Obviously, you can not cross your paws without having the rest of the body move as well :p

That's what I'm hoping to do! When I took a tricks class we did "are you tired?" instead of "bang! you're dead" so he knows how to lie over to his side. We tried to do the burrito/cover yourself but I could never get him to grab on to the blanket before. I guess I just should have tried to shape something else a long time ago and waited for him to get frustrated. :p Hopefully I can bridge them together.

/tangent

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Well I just accidentally shaped Payton to crawl. *facepalm*

Also Pepper needs to learn how to reliably lay down before we go any further. Auggie is currently digging at the floor with one paw while laying down... I guess it's a start?

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
I used Southpaw's idea and shaped Lugia to cross her paws using a paper target... she kept trying to jump up to pounce on the target at first :D I really wish I could film our training sessions, she does some super cute things sometimes. LOVED seeing Squash pick up the blanket on his own and try to roll in it!

For the next session, I need to introduce a cue (which I'm horrible at for some reason, I wonder if I'm always getting the timing wrong?) and fade out the target. Thanks for making these threads every week Sara, I'm so uncreative when it comes to thinking of new tricks to teach Lugia!

Well, I started with Boone tonight. As I thought, he was really hung up on the side hop. But after a while, he finally switched to front end movement. And now I'm slowly shaping just movement of the front paws into his front paws being moved closer together. It's going to take some work and will probably be slow progress, but I think it will turn out okay.

So far Maisy is getting this the best. She has caught on that I want her to move just her front paws, and she started doing this adorable little right tap-left tap-right tap-left tap thing just in place while she's laying down. I'm going to try to get video of it.

Pip hasn't completely caught on, but he seems to be moving in the right direction.

Squash, on the other hand... keeps just flopping on his side. I moved him onto the floor away from the sleeping bag and he just lays and stares at me for long stretches of time and flops over on his side. I even tried cheating by moving his paws unnaturally far away from each other thinking he'd at least scoot them closer so I could mark something... but no. He just lays there with his paws unnaturally wide for long stretches of time and then flops over. LOL.

Lyzelle

Zander and Squash are on the same wavelength. I was going to record today.

But then realized there was nothing to record except Zane beating me up or staring at me like I'm an idiot.

He just lays there with his paws unnaturally wide for long stretches of time and then flops over. LOL.
I believe a video or at least a picture should be provided...so we can more fully understand what you're talking about. Uh huh. That's totally why.

Brattina88

I am surprised at this - Maddie was my vocal one! She was barking and growling and scratching me to pieces lol She started tucking her paws under (she lays like this all the time) and I started clicking for that.

Bailey started off targeting whatever she could - I have a bruise on my knee from her nose to prove it! :p lol
My shoes, the carpet, the chair, the table leg, then she started moving her front paws and it was like the magic "light bulb moment" :)

This is a hard one, though! I like it :D

I believe a video or at least a picture should be provided...so we can more fully understand what you're talking about. Uh huh. That's totally why.
Haha. I actually do have video but YouTube is having especially unreasonable upload times tonight so you'll have to wait until tomorrow for Squash-flopping and Maisy-tapping. :p

Members online