For those who use tug...

Danefied

I’m working on tug drive with both the younger two and I have an opinion question. What’s fair game? Namely with paws.
Do you allow pushing against you with a paw? Do you allow banking off you to grab at a tug you mean for them to leap for? Bear in mind that my “little†dog tugging is 80 pounds and the bigger one is 130 pounds.

elegy

overdogged
My only out of bounds for Steve and Luce is teeth on skin. Which is why I constantly have bruises on my thighs :p Steve's a very "footy" dog.

For Mushroom I won't play if he thrashes, because it hurts me.

But my dogs are only 40, 45, and 55 pounds.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I allow paws within reason.

Denis won't allow Backup to circle tug. He always tugs to the left with me dragging me in circles. Sloan tugs straight backwards. I have heard a theory that dogs trained by women do the side to side or circle tugging while with men they do straight back. I don't know any validity in it but it made me laugh when I heard it.

Danefied

Wait. So are you guys saying I’m the only idiot who plays tug with 130 pounds worth of dog?

I’m sporting a lovely bruised scratch on my thigh where the mouthy bitch decided to “grip†me with her paw - the bruise and scratch was THROUGH my jeans. She has dew claws and isn’t afraid to use them. It hurt LOL.

Danefied

I allow paws within reason.

Denis won't allow Backup to circle tug. He always tugs to the left with me dragging me in circles. Sloan tugs straight backwards. I have heard a theory that dogs trained by women do the side to side or circle tugging while with men they do straight back. I don't know any validity in it but it made me laugh when I heard it.
Hrm... Mine do both. I prefer the circles, because straight back full on butt bounce tugging is probably more than my middle aged ligaments should have to deal with.

Wait. So are you guys saying I’m the only idiot who plays tug with 130 pounds worth of dog?

I’m sporting a lovely bruised scratch on my thigh where the mouthy bitch decided to “grip†me with her paw - the bruise and scratch was THROUGH my jeans. She has dew claws and isn’t afraid to use them. It hurt LOL.
Should we share pics? I just finished healing a bruise from the same thing:p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Nope, paws are not allowed, and will end the game. We have to remind her occasionally with "no cheating!" but with that she stops

BostonBanker

I allow basically anything - I don't even get too bothered by teeth on skin if it is clearly an accidental glancing. Meg has zero natural tug drive - it is all created, and my deal with her is that it is all okay. Any correction and that would probably be the end of tugging with her. She's soft enough that she almost never touches skin anyway.

Gusto is a tugging machine, and I love it. He does have to drop it when I say Gimme and not grab until I say Okay. Beyond that, if he wants to climb on my head to tug or growl like a lunatic, he can. He does occasionally catch a bit of skin, generally when I'm holding whatever we are tugging on in a stupid way. Never broken skin or even left a mark, just hit me with a tooth. If he was lunging at my hands, I might rethink the rules.

But again we are talking about 36 lbs (Meg) and 25 lbs (Gusto).

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy

Hey, it could be worse... I got this from releasing a 20 something pound staffordshire off my lap in flyball.

I did this to myself recalling Arnold in flyball by slapping my legs trying to build his speed up...

I can't find any of my tug injuries on my thighs (I found several on my arms and hands and ankles!) but yeah.. I've started to disallow the paws from Backup purely because I've lost the enjoyment in pain and I know it won't kill his drive. In a lower drive dog I'll allow most anything too keep them up.

Red Chrome

With LoLa anything is ok in tug. With Judge...he needs to be tugging straight back with lots of fight. No circles or side to side..which he can tend to do ironically. I don't mind the feet on my legs but hate it when they end up on my stomach.

Danefied

Okay Adrienne, you officially win LOL!

Mine is just the scratch from the dew claw where she likes to wrap her paw around and “hold†me.
Bates is the one who mauls my arms trying to push the tug away or grab it, who knows, he’s a maniac. He also growls like a fiend but his out is awesome, so I’m not worried about that.

neither is super tug driven, this is something I’m trying to build. They will half heartedly tug with the kids but seem to know to keep it low key with them. Its a weird balance...

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
LOL It's not a game I enjoyed winning.

I totally hate dewclaws though, they can really hurt.

I've never had to tug with a dog as big as me (well, almost). So... yeah, I don't know for sure what to say but I would be allowing a lot to build the drive and then molding it when it's stable.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I allow basically anything - I don't even get too bothered by teeth on skin if it is clearly an accidental glancing.
This. But my dog is only 50lbs and she doesn't really do crazy things during tug. I don't think she's ever used her paws for anything while tugging.

Aleron

I’m working on tug drive with both the younger two and I have an opinion question. What’s fair game? Namely with paws.
Do you allow pushing against you with a paw? Do you allow banking off you to grab at a tug you mean for them to leap for? Bear in mind that my “little†dog tugging is 80 pounds and the bigger one is 130 pounds.
I really think a lot of this is more about what you consider ok or not.

I allow basically anything - I don't even get too bothered by teeth on skin if it is clearly an accidental glancing. Meg has zero natural tug drive - it is all created, and my deal with her is that it is all okay. Any correction and that would probably be the end of tugging with her. She's soft enough that she almost never touches skin anyway.

Gusto is a tugging machine, and I love it. He does have to drop it when I say Gimme and not grab until I say Okay. Beyond that, if he wants to climb on my head to tug or growl like a lunatic, he can. He does occasionally catch a bit of skin, generally when I'm holding whatever we are tugging on in a stupid way. Never broken skin or even left a mark, just hit me with a tooth. If he was lunging at my hands, I might rethink the rules.
This is pretty much how I am too. Unless the dog is really nailing me, repeatedly and purposefully, I don't really care about teeth occasionally hitting me. It's all in fun :)

Me & Savvy from this weekend...

Aleron

Notice that he looks exactly like the Werewolf on Nikki's shirt??? LOL
LOL how perfect was it that I was wearing the werewolf shirt?

I should get more of the pictures from that day uploaded - it's a pretty funny set all in all.

Members online

No members online now.