Papillons and Herding?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I just downloaded a "Breed All About It" on my iPod and watched the Papillon episode. They had a lady with one and owned a farm with sheep. Then the pap starts "herding" these sheep! I was like "Holy crapy, wth is that dog doing?!"

It looked like the highly Ob trained GSDs that I've seen doing herding, LOL! And mainly doing it because it was obeying commands.

I've NEVER heard of this, is it true? :confused:

Herding is basically controlled hunting. If the dog has prey drive, he can herd if he is able to be taught to stop the hunt before pursueing an attack ;)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
That would make sense. I know every breed has different herding styles, cause this definitely wasn't any Border or Aussie, lol.

I guess I fail to see why they would do that? Why not use a dog specifically breed for herding?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That would make sense. I know every breed has different herding styles, cause this definitely wasn't any Border or Aussie, lol.

I guess I fail to see why they would do that? Why not use a dog specifically breed for herding?
Because they can. Because its fun. Because people go . . WHAT THE HECK when when they see a Pap herding. Why not?

I wouldnt be surprised if it was more of a case of, the owner got the pap to be just a pet but then discovered the pap's talent to be a herding dog. I also wouldnt be surprised if it is a learned behaviour rather than a natural behaviour, from watching other dogs doing the herding (does the lady have any BCs on her farm??)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Paps are very intelligent, it doesn't surprise me that she was able to teach the dog to control sheep!

Granted, it was probably because the sheep were going "WTF IS THAT THING?!" that caused them to move away from the dog, but whatever works! :D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think I'll have to watch that too!

People who don't have papillons would be amazed at the breed and what they can do. They're brilliant little dogs and very athletic to boot, so I don't see why they couldn't.

Mine just herd deer out of our yard lol.

Elleoz

Does herding children count. Max is all about running around in circles and nipping at our heels. Little booger!

And I agree Laur! Before I got my pap I would have never known just how smart such a little dog can be! Max picks up on things so fast. He may not be consistent at this point, but all I have to do it teach him something new one time and he doesn't forget it. Makes like interesting to say the least. He is way to smart for his own good!

I just wish peope would stop asking if he was a long haired chi though! :confused:

Members online

No members online now.