English Bulldog Stud

rousseau661

nook the crook
Hey everyone, i have a 3 month old male english bully and my neighbor has a female who is just about 2 yrs old, she asked if she could use him as a stud when he was ready and i told her it shouldnt be a problem but i needed to get some information first. here are my questions.

how old should my bully be before he is used for that,

how much do stud services cost, or how much should i charge,

am i entitled to any of the puppies,

also does this effect my bully in any way, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.

thanks in advance, i appreciate your input, Josh and Nook Nook.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
pup-man said:
I'm ready for the show :)

Hopefully, there wont be one...and people will just give good advice...:)

but just in case, pass some popcorn this way :)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Good job coming here and asking first! I like the name Nook Nook.

Firstly, your dogs must be excellent specimens of the breed. The only reason your dogs should have puppies is to help better the bulldog breed. How is your dog, in both his physical traits and temperament? He should have at least obedience or show titles to prove his excellence. Before you breed, both your dog and the neighbor's dog must have health certifications. That means that their hips/eyes/joints have been X-rayed and rated as good by a vet. This can only be done at 2 years old, so your dog must be at least that old.

And be aware that breeding English bulldogs is EXPENSIVE! There are X-rays, ultrasounds, etc., to take into account. These dogs cannot be delivered naturally because their heads are so big. If the female tries to deliver them by herself, there's a very high chance that it would kill her and the puppies. The female must have a C-section at the appropriate time, which takes a lot of money.

Stud service fees depend on the quality of the stud. Or, the owner of the stud gets the pick of the litter. This is determined before the breeding ever takes place.

Yes, it does affect your bully. There are such things as dog STDs, so it puts your dog at risk of contracting them. It also gives your dog a change in temperament. He can become more prone to run away, as he searches for available females. He can also become more dominant.

I recommend you neuter Nook Nook and don't follow through with the breeding. It will make Nook Nook a better pet. And it doesn't sound like your neighbor is very knowledgeable about what she is doing. I wouldn't let your dog be a stud for a person who doesn't know how to take care of his potential children.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I have to emphasize at least waiting until he is 24 months old to get his hips & elbows certified. Dysplasia is extremely common in the breed, and a horrendously painful deformity that no dog should have to endure. Please do wait to at least make sure your boy is healthy enough to produce puppies... to be a conscienscous breeder, you should also show him to his CH title to prove that his conformation is excellent for the breed. The only reason one should breed their dogs is to better the breed, please keep that in mind and do LOADS of research. Bulldogs are awesome pups, I'm sure you agree :), and you should do everything you can to prove that your boy is conformationally, structurally & temperamentally correct and healthy.

We would LOVE to see pictures of your pup and hear more about him. We all love dogs here, and there are wonderful breeders on these boards that can give you lots of priceless advice. This is my nephew Bulldog, Benny...

rousseau661

nook the crook
thanks a lot, the reason i didnt just settle for the stickies is because i know the eb breed is very specific and there are factors that affect the situation that i was asking about, so i will have some popcorn as well, also hey thanks a bunch for the information, i didnt ever plan on breeding him but i thought i would see what it was about before i did anything serious, i dont think it is something that i would want to do considering she isnt experienced with breeding and who knows what the situation would lead to.

Mach1girl

rousseau661 said:
thanks a lot, the reason i didnt just settle for the stickies is because i know the eb breed is very specific and there are factors that affect the situation that i was asking about, so i will have some popcorn as well, also hey thanks a bunch for the information, i didnt ever plan on breeding him but i thought i would see what it was about before i did anything serious, i dont think it is something that i would want to do considering she isnt experienced with breeding and who knows what the situation would lead to.
Kudos!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Sounds like sound reasoning, Rousseau. Now, about those pictures? *hint hint* English bulldogs are insanely adorable as puppies....:D

pup-man

Permanent Troll
Looks like the show ended... I like happy endings :)

But before we dismiss the theatre, we need pictures!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
He's so CUTE! English bulldogs are the most adorable chubby puppies. But I dunno...that look in his eye tells me that he's probably quite a handful.

rousseau661

nook the crook
no, hes actually very docile and extremely laid back, he is learning fast and growing faster, i have a blue fawn pitbull terrier that si about 18 monthes and she keeps him quite busy. but no, not really a handfull but then again he is a pup, very well behaved.

Members online

No members online now.