Pups hyper and eats poop

AndyG

Hello

I am new to this forum. I was wondering if any of you all could please assist me?

I have an almost 5 month old Rottweiler and for the past month I catch him eating his own poop and I have tried to stop this but he won't. Also, he loves to get into everything in my house. I know that's just the puppy in him but its annoying. Is there any forum members who can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Pineapple, put some pineapple in his meals everyday, it can naturally make their poop distasteful. If that doesn't work, they also make commercial products nowadays that will do something similar. Next, what food are you feeding him? It's also highly possible if he's eating a low quality "filler kibble" he isn't getting enough out of the food the first time round, eventually this can turn into a perpetual bad habit even once placed on good food so I also still recommend trying to use a product to make his poop distasteful.

As for him "getting into things", why it he allowed to? He shouldn't be able to get into anything, part of puppy proofing 101 is, if you can put it away, gate them off, or crate them, or tether them to you. If you can't watch them at the time, give them some time behind a gate or in a crate with a "breed/size" appropriate toy, for a Rottie you can try a Kong, fill it half way with peanut butter, yogurt, or canned food and freeze it, super entertaining! Only let him into areas where he might get into something, when someone is able to watch him closely, and if he tires to get into something, make a sharp verbal sound to distract him such as "EH-EH!" then redirect him onto an appropriate item of his own and make a big deal out of it praising him.

AndyG

Thank you! What I meant to say is I leave him about in a room where I am at for about 45 minutes in the morning and about a hour in the evening.

lizzybeth727

He's a puppy. Puppies, like young children, are very inquisitive and like exploring everything. Your job is to manage him so that he doesn't get the opportunity to damage anything that's important to you, while at the same time giving him plenty of opportunities to explore new things - give him exciting toys and chew bones, make sure he gets a lot of exercise, and give him plenty of socialization and mental stimulation.

Welcome to the life of a puppy parent!

Generally the first year or so is the most difficult (for us) - pups get into everything, will eventually wreck something, have a few messes that are inevitable, and assert dominance/test you as a "leader"/head figure in their life.

Put everything away - shoes, scarves, books, extra food - everything and anything is now on shelves or in secure cabinets. Bittering agent spray/bitter apple is helpful if he is a chewer of things (table legs, furniture etc). Get him used to a ex-pen or crate - it's a really helpful training tool/chill out spot.

Give him toys/chews and play with them with him - praise him when he chews and takes his stuff. Re-direct when and if you catch him gnawing on something he's not supposed to be. Just be consistent - it works.

For a puppy his age...I'd take him out alot - Katalin was out every hour for potty breaks in the yard and 3 walks a day at about 20 minutes a time. Stimulation, impulse control, excersise, and socialization - that's what I would be working on with him IMO.

Hmm...Pineapple, or you can try a "watch me" - call him and get his attention with a treat or something if you see him trying to go for his poop while out on a walk/wherever it happens and get him to focus on you/come to you.

And indeed - what are you feeding him? If it's IAMS/supermarket sh!t - take him off it. It's all fillers/corn/bad stuff and is very empty nutrition wise. I'd recommend California Naturals, Wellness, or Firstmate. Acana is good too if your dog hasn't got issues with higher protein levels/alot of meat.

Best of luck with your pup! =)

Barb04

Super Moderator
Some have tried pineapple in the dog's food, others try sprinkling red pepper on the poop, and finally some just have to pick up the poop as soon as the dog does it to avoid the eating.

Your pup is teething and being a pup. Toys to chew on, bitter apple spray, and making sure they get exercise helps.

Members online

No members online now.