Can someone explain this (laptop question)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have an ancient macbook that a few months ago started gradually losing the ability to hold a charge (or so it seemed). I've noticed for a long while that it doesn't last nearly as long as my sister's newer macbook. Maybe an hour-hour and a half and then it dies.

But a few months ago the battery symbol at the top of the computer started saying less and less and less battery charge even if I had it plugged in 24/7. It finally got down to being at about 6% all the time and if I would accidentally unplug it, it would die right away. It stayed like that for a while and I was going to go get the battery replaced bu just ever got around to it.

Then a few weeks ago I noticed it was back up to 37%. Then a few days later I noticed it was at 70% and so on until now where it will go to 100% and then hold a battery for at least an hour or two again. What in the world is going on?

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Chances are your battery pack is going out. They only last a few years. Your best bet is to find a mac repair near you, or you can try the Apple store if you feel brave.

Source: Apple fanboy

There was a battery recall/replacement several years ago for a handful of the Apple laptops, although I think it was mostly iBooks. Maybe check into whether yours was a part of that?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Good idea!

If the motherboard was dying would that explain sometimes randomly losing the ability to move the cursor with the touch pad?

GipsyQueen

Mine did that too...

It also sounded like a helicopter trying to land every time I did so much as type. ;)

crazedACD

I was told you aren't supposed to leave the battery pack in 24/7, while plugged in, because the battery will continuously be charging. It's kind of the same as plugging in a cell phone every night even if it doesn't need it, the battery gets worn out.

Locke

Good idea!

If the motherboard was dying would that explain sometimes randomly losing the ability to move the cursor with the touch pad?
I had similar issues with my macbook after about 4 years. When I brought it in, the mac guy said that the battery pack was swelling (from age) and messing with the cursor and such.

Once the battery was replaced (for free!), everything works just fine :)

Members online

No members online now.