Reverse Sneezing

iluvdogs

Does anyone know anything about this ? I'm pretty sure this is what Mikito has but were going to ask the vet just to make sure..and if that is the case see if there is anything to do to stop it..

I was just wondering if anyone else on here had dogs that did this ??

Its very scary..its like your dog is gasping for air...but I read that its more scary for you to watch then it really is.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
All of my chihuahuas reverse sneeze on a daily basis. I put my fingers over their nostrils to try to get them to stop, and it usually works. It's seen more often in little dogs with shorter snouts.

Occasional bouts of sneezing, snorting, honking and wheezing are not unusual in chihuahuas, and is sometimes called a "reverse sneeze". This is usually caused by a elongated soft palate that is thought to become temporarily misaligned. It is a common trait in toy breeds. Pulling hard on a leash, drinking too fast or getting overly excited can lead to an episode of reverse sneezing. Reverse sneezing SHOULD NOT be confused with a different condition called "collapsed trachea".

Although reverse sneezing may appear to be scary, it only lasts a short time and can be ended by massaging the dog's neck and throat and encouraging the dog to swallow or lick. Another way to slow the reverse sneeze is to clap your hands to distract the dog, or pinch closed the dog's nostrils with your fingers, forcing it to breathe through its mouths and to swallow.
Chihuahua health...

Taqroy

Mu does that. She stops fairly quickly and if I distract her she really only gasps once. My sister's dog will do it for attention though. :rolleyes: I used to freak out a little but now I'm so used to it I hardly notice.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
In brachy breeds (such as pugs) reverse sneezing if it's very frequent and inhibits daily activity could be caused by elongated palliate issues or stenotic nares. These are both surgically correctable if indeed that is an issue. If the reverse sneezing is fairly infrequent and causes no disruption to the daily life of the dog it's not considered severe and could be caused by something simple like pollen or dust.

I use the same method of covering the nose, it forces the dog to take a deep breath through the mouth.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie did this once and it scared the (#&% out of me. I thought he was choking at first but couldn't see anything down his throat, he wouldn't drink anything (even though I even offered him some soda... which he loves...) and it was terrifying. I called his breeder flipping out and she was like "Is he reverse sneezing?" and I was like "...oh. Yes." and felt like an idiot, LMAO.

She said the same as Jessie, place your fingers over the nostrils and they will usually stop, but Auggie's never done it since. Happy, however, used to do this alllllll the time but it was a lot different than how Auggie sounded when doing it. He'd snort and honk and make all kinds of bizarre sounds and it was very upsetting to watch. Happy would work himself up so much doing it he often would end up vomiting afterwards too. Wish I'd known back then that you could stop it and help them feel better. =<

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Romeo does it daily lol usually its when I get his leash out, he gets so excited that he sends himself in a reverse sneeze fit. but after a second he stops lol

iluvdogs

oh wow so it is common!!

So when he does it I just put my hand over his nose? and he should stop ? I'm going to try that the next time he does it.

One day he just started doing it and we thought it was when he would lay on his back, but now he does it just out of the blue..Some days worse then others.

Thanks for the tip guys! Its weird because my chi don't do it..The only thing she does is if she over runs she will gag.

Amber

Junior does it. Our vet told us to rub his neck and that usually stops it pretty quickly.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Tsuki used to do it alll the time, honking away. Come to think of it, she hasn't done it in awhile. If you find it as a recurrent problem I'd also put him in a harness vs collar.

Brattina88

Maddie used to do it frequently, her vet said it could be allergyn induced as well....
She hasn't done it in a while, though! :)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I've been told it's related to sinus drainage ... and they don't know how to blow their noses, so they do it backwards. Makes sense if you think about it ...

Kody and Bailey both do it.

Cover nostrils, run throat to make them swallow. theres a little... thing.. in their throat that gets flipped the wrong way.

I also blow in Kodys face to make him take a breath and swallow.

Members online

No members online now.