What kind of dog should I get?

You need to examine your lifestyle first: how much time will you have to spend with a dog; how much exercise time (walking, playing outdoors, etc.) and how much space; do you have a fenced yard, what kind of family situation do you have (small children, elderly family members, etc.). Ask yourself how much time you want to spend on grooming a dog, what your budget can handle as far as food and care, what kind of dogs appeal to you, and what kind of personality you really like (playful, serious, clown, dignified, intense . . .). Do you like large, medium or small dogs?

That will give us something to start on.

Sheba

I W A L R
Hiw big is your house?Do you have kids?Do you want a small, large, or medium sized dog?Do you have time to feed,groom, and take it for a walk everyday?Do you want a long or short haired breed?Do you have enough money to buy the dogs nessesities?Do you have time to grrom it every dag and replace it's water?Do you want an adult ir a puppy?Shelter or breeder?It all depends on what these answers are.

I have a lot of time to spend time with a dog. I live in the country so there's lots of time for me to spend time with the dog. I live with my parents and bro, I have a lot of time for grooming, I'm inbetween jobs right now. I really like huskies, labs, and sherpards, im looking for a dog that has a playful but serious also personality

I should have mentioned that you also need to think about the climate you live in. That's going to have a bearing on what breed of dog you need to lean toward. For instance, a Husky in the southern United States is going to be a hot dog!

Will this be the first dog you've ever had, or the first that is "yours?" Some dogs can be just too much for most inexerienced owners, especially as pups. Puppies can be an expensive proposition as well when it comes to care. They invariably have accidents that require vet visits, no matter how careful you are.

I'm kind of inclined, from the small amount I know so far, to suggest you look into a German Shepherd or a Lab from a breed rescue. Breed rescues usually have their dogs in foster care and can tell you a lot about the dog and can help match you up to a dog that will mesh well with you. The foster homes are generally with knowledgeable dog people who will have worked with the dog and have a great deal of basic training taken care of and can give you excellent advice.

Your winters would be fun for a Husky, but you've got to figure in how hot the summers are to be fair. Keep in mind that in a hot summer, the only good times to have a Husky outside for exercise are the early morning and after sundown, and sometimes it's still awfully hot after sundown in some places. Of course, sacked out in front of the AC isn't a bad place, lol!

bubbatd

As your 1st dog and still living at home ( age? ) I would recommend going to your humane society and see what attracts you. This can be a mix or pure bred...walk it, etc and see the attraction. Yes, I've had Goldens all my life ( practically ) but I'm openned to my next friend. I'll look into it's eyes and it into mine.....That's how Elinhunter got Hunter......he was considered unplaceable until we met. He sleeps as I type at my feet.... to me he's un-replaceable !!! His Mom is partying right now,,,,so he's with Grammy !

If you're that far north, you're definitely in a Husky-friendly weather zone ;)

Love4Pits is the best person to advise you on Huskies. I'd also encourage you to consider a breed rescue organization as a great source for a wonderful dog.

Just thought I'd mention that Huskies need a fenced in yard. They will wander and cause problems if left unfenced. So if you don't have a fence and want a Husky, I'd suggest either building one, or never letting the dog off leash.

aurorab

You mentioned Husky's but have you thought of something like a healer or Australian shepard? That might also work. Not exactly sure what you are looking for in a dog but there was mention of a large area and poss letting them out by themselves.I have known both types and you can train them to stay around the house. Just a thought.

Members online

No members online now.