Dog breeds you NEVER used to want...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Malinois. And possibly a Lab, huge maybe. I've met some really neat ones, whose temperament I very much enjoy, through dockdogs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Goldens are one that I wanted when I was about 5. Then decided I never wanted. Now I covet them (not so) secretly. I'm still not sure it's the right fit but man I love them.

JacksonsMom

I've been in a Golden mood again too. My first dog was a Golden so I will ALWAYS have a soft spot for them. For years, I would say "I'll have another Golden again." But then honestly, just kind of grew out of them. Lately I've fallen in love again (doesn't help that I started dogsitting two Goldens recently) but am not sure I'd ever truly seek one out ... at least any time soon. Maybe down the road when/if I have a family.

cliffdog

When I was a kid, my neighbor's two pit bull type dogs ran rampage on the neighborhood. Their owners made NO effort to contain them into their own yard and they killed at least a dozen cats, several dogs, and attacked a little boy. My parents and everyone in the neighborhood ranted about those effin' PIT BULLS, those vicious PIT BULLS, those PIT BULLS need to be put down, etc. So for a long time I thought Pit Bulls were horrible dogs.

And yet for several years now game-bred dogs have been my favorite breed and a great passion. Live and learn...

k9krazee

I have major, major toy/mini poodle want.

I have always liked or saw myself with a field lab, standard poodle or Aussie but my lifestyle & significant other have sort of indicated that a large dog will not be possible. I never thought I'd want a small poodle.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Italian Greyhound.

Not that I ever like... specifically said "Oh God no, not an IG!!!" I just am generally not attracted to small dogs, so the fact that recently I have fallen in love with something so tiny and frail.... it's weird lol.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Probably Goldends and terriers (namely Border Terriers). I know Several people with goldens, and I used to and still do house sit for a house full of goldens. I could see myself saying yes to a golden if the SO wanted one again.

crazedACD

Standard Poodle and Mal. Okay Mal is a long way off but a possibility someday. Standard Poodles I never minded, but I didn't think I would actually want one.

Lyzelle

Standard Poodle. Corgi. Koolie.

Not that I wasn't EW all before, I just never thought I would really get into them.

Aleron

When I was looking for my Malinois puppy, I considered the other Belgians. I though the Laekenois looked stupid, unkempt, and like a mutt. Two years after that I had to have one because they looked happy and cute.
Laekens changed for me too! I never used to like anything scruffy looking or with any sort of long facial hair. Then I was around Laekens and found myself really liking their scruffiness. Now I love scruffy faced dogs!

PyrSheps were not love at first sight (or meeting) for me but I'm totally smitten with them now. Corgis - never really liked the dwarf breed look but now I think they're cute...not to mention funny.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Maltese, Clumber Spaniel, IG, borzoi, are all breeds I'd like to own at some point that are fairly new desires.

If I ever get to the point where I want to get a working line dog it'll be a laek. I love their scruffies.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I used to really want a German Shepherd, but now after dealing with so many at my work I'm unsure. Maybe I'm just meeting bad examples of the breed.

Another one I used to really want is a toller. It's not that I don't want one now, but I'm not sure if I would actually want one bad enough to get one if that makes sense.

Romy

Taxiderpy
When I was a kid I always wanted borzois or greyhounds.

I read about Tibetan mastiffs and thought, "I'm NEVER going to get one of those! Too hard!"

And now I'm pining after kuvasz, filas, and TM. :eek:

Pops2

scenthounds in general.
now i am liking the idea of some good wolfing foxhounds and some tight mouth deer running bassets

crysania

Based on the Border collie we had when I was a kid, I used to think I never wanted one. She was out of control, chewed on everything, herded everything, and we spent all winter chasing her down when she ran off. As it turns out, I LOVE the breed. Our girl was just undersocialized (we got her at 3 months old and she had been tied to a dog house for a month), underexercised (my Mom wanted a lap dog and my Aunt dumped this one on us), and totally untrained.

But I love training dogs, love doing agility, and love taking walks and hikes. I decided a couple years ago that BCs are really the breed I'd like to own someday.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Oops I read this thread so wrong and thought it was about dogs we used to want to own but don't anymore.

I never used to think I would want a sighthound. I was strictly herding breeds for the longest time. Now I'm super obsessed with all things sighthound. So... ibizans, greyhounds, salukis, Afghan Hounds, Galgo, Borzoi etc.... Love love love. I really want a greyhound and a borzoi one day.

Chihuahuas and Sighthounds.
Chihuahuas, I used to think were snobbish and ugly, but now I have grown to love their small size. I'll still always be scared that I'll sit on them, lol.

Sighthounds, I used to think they were 'fragile' and too 'aloof'. But I've grown to love their grace and beauty, and I absolutely love their temperament. I definitely plan on owning at least one in my lifetime. :)

I NEVER wanted a Malinois. In fact, when I first met my husband, he made the joke that if I ever decided to work a Malinois, he would have to leave me. :p

Now we both have them.

Members online

No members online now.