Playing FAR too roughly.

Zhucca

Lab Love
So, I work in a dog daycare (have been for 18 months now) and I've come across a dog with a problem I'm kind of perplexed about. Stoli is a 11 month old Bullmastiff mix, neutered, and plays pretty well in daycare except for certain .. outbursts? His owner is employed under the company I work for in our head office so luckily when he misbehaves he would go up to hang in her office.

Anyways, when he's playing he'll grab the skin around the face and neck with his front teeth and *will not* let go. The last day he was walking past a adolescent lab, and just grabbed his neck. McGruff sqeauled and Stoli shook him and shook him HARD (McGruff was fine afterwards with no injuries or hurt feelings). Stoli has been banned until further notice however I don't know what else to tell her besides training basic obedience, more mental stimulation and exercise. He seems pretty self involved, and doesn't really acknowledge my existance, or any of the caregivers. Just a poorly behaved adolescent dog... however he treats dogs like toys and I just don't know how she would fix it. Are there any books she should read? I've already told her that he just may not be suited to daycare as well. However she would like to see if there is anything she can do to turn that around.

lizzybeth727

It's really hard to say how to fix this without seeing the dogs and the situation. I think suggesting more mental stimulation is good, but besides stimulation I don't see how training in obedience will really help in this situation... I mean I highly doubt the dog will listen to a cue from someone who didn't teach it to him and doesn't really practice obedience with him, when he'd rather just grab a dog.

The only book I can think of would be Off Leash Dog Play - which I haven't actually read but which has been recommended to me.

I don't know, I mean, on one hand this dog's social interractions aren't going to get better if he doesn't get to actually interract with other dogs.... but on the other hand if he's a danger to the other dogs you obviously can't have him in the play group. Good luck!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Bullmastiffs, in my experience, tend to not be all that suited to daycare once they hit a certain age. They can be prone to DA. Given the fact that he just randomly started shaking a dog who wasn't interacting with him, I'd say that Stoli is more suited to be an individual play type of dog.

It might pass once he hits full maturity, but it might not.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Bullmastiffs, in my experience, tend to not be all that suited to daycare once they hit a certain age. They can be prone to DA. Given the fact that he just randomly started shaking a dog who wasn't interacting with him, I'd say that Stoli is more suited to be an individual play type of dog.

It might pass once he hits full maturity, but it might not.

Thats what I was thinking. We only have one other bullmastiff in the daycare and he's as soft as pudding. The last one I had also had to be kicked out for fighting as well.

Lizzybeth, the training simply because he's poorly behaved in general. :lol-sign: Thank you very much for the book recommendation it would be good for me to read as well even if it isn't applicable for Stoli's situation.

Members online

No members online now.