Whippets, AKC, Puppies, Agility, Oh My! (Questions)

F

FluffyZooCrew

Confusing title? LOL

So I've had whippet fever lately, and gosh those dogs look awesome. One day in the far future (a few years from now), I'd love to own one. But I'd love to compete with it in different things. Annie's a whippet mix, so it's hard to judge their personality without actually living with a full blooded one that was actually raised properly.

So, for whippet owners, I have questions:

What's their overall attitude like? Are they typically known to be good with other dogs? I know about the cat and small animal thing, Annie absolutely inherited those whippet chasing qualities.

Are they agile? Would they do good in competing in agility? I know they're fast little sprinters.

I know they're a sighthound, so is off-leash recall at all possible? (I guess this goes back to being able to do agility with them)

When the time comes, would it be better to get a puppy with full AKC registration? Will a dog be able to go further will full AKC registration, as opposed to a rescue with an ILP number? I'm not looking for dead-on competition, but I would like the option to be able to enter and compete in several diff. areas, such as agility, rally, obed. I know a dog can do these things with an ILP, but I wasn't sure if they were limited in how far they can go, ect.

Is a whippet a family dog? It's very hard to guage living with Annie because of her past. A whippet that is raise properly, are they typically out-going with strangers, or very reserved? Are they typically very shy (images of italian greyhounds running thru my mind at the moment).

I think that's all for now. :D

Dekka

Just try me..
Confusing title? LOL

So I've had whippet fever lately, and gosh those dogs look awesome. One day in the far future (a few years from now), I'd love to own one. But I'd love to compete with it in different things. Annie's a whippet mix, so it's hard to judge their personality without actually living with a full blooded one that was actually raised properly.
So, for whippet owners, I have questions:
First off you could come visit :D I can intro you to some great breeders too!!

What's their overall attitude like? Are they typically known to be good with other dogs? I know about the cat and small animal thing, Annie absolutely inherited those whippet chasing qualities.
They are great with other dogs, pretty much a non issue. They are fine with cats if they are raised with them and are taught not to chase the cat.

Are they agile? Would they do good in competing in agility? I know they're fast little sprinters.
Are they agile?! H3LL YA. They can do very well in agility with the 'right' whippet and proper training (sight hounds don't like repetition)

I know they're a sighthound, so is off-leash recall at all possible? (I guess this goes back to being able to do agility with them)
Agility would be no prob (recall wise). Off leash, most that I know are.. but they have had a fair amount of training. Bounce is as about reliable off leash as any dog I know.

When the time comes, would it be better to get a puppy with full AKC registration? Will a dog be able to go further will full AKC registration, as opposed to a rescue with an ILP number? I'm not looking for dead-on competition, but I would like the option to be able to enter and compete in several diff. areas, such as agility, rally, obed. I know a dog can do these things with an ILP, but I wasn't sure if they were limited in how far they can go, ect.
I would go with a good breeder simply because badly bred whippets tend to be shy and nervous. You can go everywhere but to worlds I believe with an ILP'd dog though.

Is a whippet a family dog? It's very hard to guage living with Annie because of her past. A whippet that is raise properly, are they typically out-going with strangers, or very reserved? Are they typically very shy (images of italian greyhounds running thru my mind at the moment).
A good whippet is a fantastic family dog... they love people in general. They get very very attached to their owners but still like other people. I meet more and more iggies at the CARA races and the well bred ones aren't that shy either (though they do shake a lot)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Are they good to cuddle with? Is their energy level like a greyhounds (content to be couch potatos most of the time)? My parents are thinking about getting a dog of their own when they move into a house and my mom likes the sound of greyhounds but she thinks they're kind of large and a bit boney to cuddle with.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Are they good to cuddle with? Is their energy level like a greyhounds (content to be couch potatos most of the time)? My parents are thinking about getting a dog of their own when they move into a house and my mom likes the sound of greyhounds but she thinks they're kind of large and a bit boney to cuddle with.
Bounce is sitting on Kerri's lap right now.. has been for half an hour. Both hers enjoy being lap dogs, though it is harder to hold Dash. Few thunderstorms ago I snuggled with Dash on a bed for the storm. Cuddly, wanted the snuggles for sure.

Their energy level is higher than greyhounds. They like to zoom when released from the house. They bounce. Lots. Kerri is uploading a video of Bounce heeling where Dash does a fly by of his usual whippity self. That said they both chill nicely in crates. They love them. Bounce often prefers chilling in her crate with the door open..

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The more I read about them (which I have since your last pictures) the more I like about them. They sound like they'd be probably the best sight hound fit for me. I won't have a sight hound for a while (restricted to two dogs while I'm renting) but I definitely will keep them in mind for the future. I'd love to do lure coursing.

Shamus

I was out this week to see my dog @ Dekka's, bounce cuddled up with me while we chatted. I am pretty much a stranger to Bounce, I have never really spent alot of time with her till lately. Bounce is an amazing little girl!!!!! Don't tell Dekka, but i would love to steal Bounce ;)

F

FluffyZooCrew

I'd love to do lure coursing.
THAT'S what I was trying to think of earlier. I knew there was something else I wanted to do but couldn't remember. I was like, "it's not tracking... what is it..."

Yes, lure coursing. I'd love to do lure coursing with the whippet too.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
This is totally changing my mind about these little guys!

my aunt had an italian greyhound..horrible little thing. used to SHAKE all the time was just a fragile bitey little thing lol so i was a bit traumatized by all sighthounds

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Haha, that's an awesome video.

Fran, one of the worst experiences with a dog I've had was with an IG. To be fair he was at the shelter and TERRIFIED but I have never seen a dog shake so bad. :( I have always loved borzois but they're just way way too big for my tastes. Longhaired whippet or a silken would be a good compromise, I think. I also really love the beezers and podengos.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Not to completely take over the thread but what are the differences between the LHW and silkens? I know their coats are different, but that's about it.

Dekka

Just try me..
Silken Windhounds are a little bigger (from those that I have met) They have a double coat.. actually their coat is pretty much the same as a borzoi, their heads are very borzoi.. actually just think small borzoi and you will be pretty much bang on. They were created from whippet/long haired whippet and borzoi. (their gene pool is smaller)

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
I had a Whippet and she was wonderful. I had to place her when I got divorced, but she was a great companion for an elderly couple for 14 yrs.

There is a woman at the local agility trials with a few whippets and they are awesome workers, but like several have said, you've got to train them the right way!! :)

Members online