Anatolian in trouble with law in Florida

Athebeau

This is a clear case of predatory drift. Predatory drift in no way means a dog is aggressive or unpredictable...in fact it is one of the most predictable of all motor patterns in dogs with enhanced drives. I didn't read the entire article, but, from what I read this is what it sounds like to me. I'm surprised the dog owner didn't mention it especially since she seems to know a lot about dogs:confused:

This is why having breeds with the full series of motor patterns with enhanced drives can be dangerous if put in a situation where predatory drift could occur. The item they are chasing no longer is a small dog or child...it becomes prey. The reason why it's never a good idea to allow large dogs in groups to play with a small dog unsupervised...or children.

I have seen first hand predatory drift in Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Shepherds etc. This is the reason they require owners who understand and will take precautions.

It doesn't mean this dogs have been taught to be aggressive, they can live with children and small dogs/cats etc. It's a drive that owners should know about and know that even though they may say their dog with enhanced drives loves all people, likes babies faces and snuggles with cats...it doesn't mean they are going never going to be a threat given the right circumstance...prime example is this story...large dogs in a group, see a small dog (it could have been a frightened child which could have been far worse for this dog owner)...the small dog or child gets scared or starts yelping yipping and running...the large dogs with enhanced drives go into predatory drift and they can maul.

bubbatd

I more or less echoed this in the other post. I had problems years ago with stray cats and my goldens.

Athebeau

Exactly bubbatd, but, it's play that turns into the hunt. People need to realize that breeds specifically bred to have enhanced drives can be dangerous in "certain" situations.

My Rottweiler goes into eye stalk, chase motor pattern with my dogs at key moments...it's almost as if she goes into a whole new mode, in a working environment herding cattle this would be the exact motor pattern you would want. But for urban areas, it can be very dangerous when the owner doesn't understand it...or is not aware.

Not being aware of these enhanced drives is equally or more dangerous than a person who purposely creates an aggressive unpredictable dog. It's very sad. We had a child in our area killed in a similar manner. Nice Rottweilers, child got scared the dogs went into predatory drift and killed. The dogs were sweet lovable dogs, in no way aggressive in any way except this misunderstood motor pattern.

I more or less echoed this in the other post. I had problems years ago with stray cats and my goldens.
The biggest difference would be the Golden does not have the full series of motor patterns and should not have the motor pattern to go past grab bite. If the Golden did go past grab bite it would be a poorly bred Golden that would either have been culled or taken out of the gene pool and never used for breeding. A hunting companion that would have a hard mouth on birds is not something you would want and would not be bred for.

Sporting breeds have been specifiacally bred not to go past the grab bite....just as Terriers and Cattle droving breeds have been specifically bred to go past grab bite to kill bite to maul...this is a huge difference in safety around small dogs and children.

R

RedyreRottweilers

athebeau,

great posts, and great explanations about prey drive and predatory drift in dogs.

bubbatd

Ours wasn't the grab bite, but picking up and bringing home.... same as with rabbits and raccoons.... mostly babies.

Athebeau

Thank you RedyreRottweilers:)

Quote by bubbatd- Ours wasn't the grab bite, but picking up and bringing home.... same as with rabbits and raccoons.... mostly babies.
Hey, free pets ...you could have opened up a pet store! :D

Members online

No members online now.