Loft beds, lame??

Locke

Are loft style beds too childish for adult couples?

I'm looking for ways to increase bedroom floor space in preparation for moving out, and a loft bed is kind looking like my best bet/only option.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Hmm for a couple? Just make sure it's sturdy :p. Otherwise no I don't think so, there are some nice adult designs. :)
I don't think they are lame, but I'd worry how they'd hold up during "activities." That would be an embarrassing trip to the ER.....
I laughed way too hard at these XD

Though that was my first thought, too...

GipsyQueen

I thought about getting one when I moved out. I did have a concern with certian activities though. :p

crazedACD

I was thinking too, if one is trying to sleep and the other going to work you are crawling over each other and down the ladder. Might be a little frustrating, but that depends on you.

What about a bed with storage underneath? Eliminate a bureau or something...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I was thinking too, if one is trying to sleep and the other going to work you are crawling over each other and down the ladder. Might be a little frustrating, but that depends on you.
Wait, you mean this ISN'T what you meant by making sure it's sturdy? It's what I was talking about!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Keep in mind how high your ceilings are, too. Some of those loft beds leave either not much space above the mattress (i.e. you have to sit up carefully to avoid hitting your head) *or* the space underneath is short and thus hard to stand up under, which can impede what goes under (always having to crouch while looking in your dresser would be uber annoying for example).

Doberluv

Is there some other way you could save space? Some other piece of furniture that could have duel purposes? I'd hate a loft bed personally, with or without activity.:p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I like loft beds. I would stick to wooden ones (more sturdy and classic looking.. metal/plastic tends to look like a big kids bunk bed lol)

Ikea has the stola (which you can get in queen/king size) that I really like. Plus it's good and sturdy (for erm..activities lol)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Eeeee, no.

I'd pay for a decent fold away bed before I bought a loft bed for me and my other half... We'd break it in a heart beat.

Kilter

There are tons of ways to increase storage too. Under the bed bins, hanging organizers, I saw once where they used new garbage cans (plastic) with a round wood top and then tablecloth as bedside tables and filled the cans...

Garage sales work well too.

Locke

Activities are more fun when they're risky! Although you all bring up a good point...risky and falling 5+ft naked onto the ground are not one in the same!

I was looking at the Stola, and reallly like it, but will have to wait and see what the height of the room will be.
I also really like beds with storage drawers underneath, but my hope was that with the loft, we would be able to keep the bedroom furniture we already have, but have some extra space for a desk for our laptops and such.

Thanks for the suggestions and erm...warnings? hahaha

If you get one tall enough to stand under, then you may have trouble sitting up in bed.

And as far as the sturdy goes . . . no way I'd trust one, lol. I'll never forget the incident when the boyfriend at the time and I (and neither of us was heavy) broke the cinder blocks he had reinforcing his antique bed frame.

After field testing one for a couple years in college i have no doubt one could stand up to any activity anyone wants to throw at it. Then again i didn't. Rely on some premade junk

crazedACD

And as far as the sturdy goes . . . no way I'd trust one, lol. I'll never forget the incident when the boyfriend at the time and I (and neither of us was heavy) broke the cinder blocks he had reinforcing his antique bed frame.
LOL! And don't forget you have to be careful when you have a standard frame against drywall...those corners will go right through.. :yikes:

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Keep in mind how high your ceilings are, too. Some of those loft beds leave either not much space above the mattress (i.e. you have to sit up carefully to avoid hitting your head) *or* the space underneath is short and thus hard to stand up under, which can impede what goes under (always having to crouch while looking in your dresser would be uber annoying for example).
This. I wouldn't want one unless i had vaulted ceilings and could install steps instead of a ladder.

Members online

No members online now.