HELP!!! Bad dog ediquette

Gypsydals

Not sure if this should go here. I am boarding a 11 month old great dane bitch until this weekend. Ivan will not leave her alone, he is obessesed with humping her. And if he cant get to her he whines and whines. As if she was in heat. Which she is not. She has growled at him to say knock it off, I've told him. But he just won't stop. Its gotten to the point where I'm seperating them.

But my problem/question is. Is he going to behave like that when & if I get a liver female? And how do I get him to stop?

Blue will hump the crap out of any female he meets (big, small, intact, fixed, etc). BUT he is normally good with Teeny. It took him a couple of weeks to settle in with her, but as long as he's not in heat he's pretty good.

THAT being said, this past week he won't leave Teeny alone and I have no clue why. No UTI, not anywhere near coming into heat. She just must smell like something good. So she's getting a bath on Saturday in hopes his Sexy Time advances subside ;)

Maura

This is probably dominance behavior. Your dog is all excited about having a new family member and he is overdoing the "I was here first" thing. If she was going to stay longer, he would probably settle down as he got used to her.

Maybe try redirecting his attention around her somehow, I agree with Maura sometimes dogs "hump" to show dominance. Which is why you may at times see female dogs do this also. So it is very possible that he just needs to know that she is a temporary member of YOUR pack and his behavior is not appreciated, so show him what behavior is acceptable around her :).

Introduce her with both dogs on leashes let them sniff and treat him to let him know he is doing fine, but as soon as he makes his move to mount her make a verbal sound and walk both dogs away and retry in a little bit.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Also keep in mind that UTIs or bladder infections can make females who are not in heat smell like they are - given his persistence I might consider talking to the owner about taking the other dog to the vet for a check up when they get back in town.

Gypsydals

He has gotten better with her, I haven't had them loose in the house because I'm not sure my house could take it IF he tried that in the house. LOL But this morning I was outside having my morning cup of coffee and all of them where in the pen together and there was none of that behavior. He was still obnoxious but thats because she was on the steps and he wanted his spot back( he does not lay on the dirt or grass like normal dogs LOL). So he kept pawing at her till she moved and all was well after that.

Members online

No members online now.