Teachers striking

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Our district teachers went on strike on Tuesday.
They are due to meet today with the board to attempt negotiations.
But our school board is chalked full of greedy bastids, so I don't know if the poor teachers will get what they deserve.
Good for them for striking!
I had to black and white a few of them because the snow and whites were BLOWN. And blown highlights are usually more forgiving in black and white.

Meh, I know this pic is tilted because I snapped it from my car. In fact, ALL shots were snapped from my car:

If you actually go to the website on the cardboard sign, you can see the unfairness and corrupt politics of the board of administrators that these poor teachers have been forced to endure.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Excellent!!!!!!!! :hail::hail::hail: HOpe you can send it to some of the teachers. I am sure they would appriciate. The newspaper ought to have them too.

Why am I feeling sorry for them? quit whining and get to work. They average about 50K per year in an area that has a median income of around 35K and an average home value of 112K. I think they've got it pretty good.

They may have a corrupt board, so get rid of them.

CaliTerp07

Ehh...I went to the link, but I don't understand the specifics, so I'm not sure what they're striking on. Sounds like other people are getting raises in administration, but teachers aren't? Isn't that the way it always works in a recession? I know in my company, the only people who got raises the past two years are execs. I actually got a promotion (though I'm calling it a "nomotion") this year. More responsibilities, more hours, but no salary increase. It sucks, but I'd never strike over it.

Teachers have it pretty darn good, financially. I'm getting my masters to go into teaching, and while I'll never be wealthy as an educator, I will always be comfortable. I will make nearly $50k starting out with my masters, to work 9 months of the year (and the median home value here is more like 500k). I will only have students for an average of 5 hours a day (high school), with 3 hours of prep time built into my school day. Yes, there is prep time/grading/planning after hours, but once you've been teaching for 4-5 years, you can reuse a LOT of what you already have. I will be doing something fun, rewarding, and meaningful. And I'll be getting paid for it. I really can't complain about money at all.

I do believe that teachers are under appreciated and often have to deal with a lack of respect from parents and students, but I don't buy the underpaid nonsense. If the administration is crap, deal with that somehow--but striking isn't the way to do that.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I agree with Cali

I'm not sure how the teachers unions work here but I know when my sister was an EA you didn't get a choice on whether to strike or not. if the union said strike you were out of work for the duration of the strike and while some of the teachers wanted what they were striking for... most of them just wanted to get back to work and start earning a paycheck again and not only did you not get a choice on whether or not to strike... you were required to put in so many hours on the picket lines.

If that is the case here I feel bad for the teachers that want to work

are teachers unionized here?

CaliTerp07

are teachers unionized here?
In Virginia, you have the choice to join a union--they can't force it on you! Most teachers join because it provides them legal aid, in the event they are sued for sexual harassment or something (which is becoming VERY common), the union picks up the legal bills. It's a safety net. Unions also provide discounted insurance premiums, training opportunities, and information sharing networks.

There are several large unions and associations at both the state and federal level, but as far as I know it's all personal choice whether or not to join. I would be very confused why a district would require their teachers to join a union.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
I'm going to take this as you guys simply do not know the local politics here.
And where the heck did you get, release the hounds, that they are making 50k a year???

My son's teacher makes barely $30,000. a year.

Did any of you bother to go to the website that is posted on that cardboard sign?

Seriously, they're in a union.
It's their right to strike. And they should if they aren't getting what they deserve

Whine?? Whining? Are you all serious??????

So they should settle for less than they deserve???
Their class sizes have increased, and so has their workload, but their pay has NOT increased.
And this is ok with all of you????

Yeah, they'd all rather be teaching if the bunch of greedy bastids would simply give them what they deserve.

Did you all know that the administrators NEVER EVER go visit ANY of the classes???

Ok, so administrators (these in particular, I'm not claiming this for ALL adminstrators) get to do LESS work and get paid LOTS more.
Ok, so this happens. Whatever.

Does that mean it has to be seen as acceptable or OK?
No, it's not.
And since they are in a union, it's their d@mn right to strike.
And GOOD FOR THEM.

CaliTerp07

Yes, but I'm guessing she's an elementary school teacher with a bachelors and less than 15 years experience? That's pretty average, unless you live in a place where cost of living is significantly higher. If she has a masters and 10ish years experience, then I'd hope it was more in the $40k range.

Did any of you bother to go to the website that is posted on that cardboard sign?
Yeah, I actually did. (Here's the link for those who can't read the sign: k3teachers4kids [licensed for non-commercial use only] / FrontPage) Like I said, maybe I'm misreading what's there, but it sounds like they're angry because administrators got a pay raise, and they didn't. Again, that's generally how it works during recessions. I don't know why teachers should be exempt from the economy because they are in a public service field. Everyone in non-executive positions went without raises the past couple years. I've been in my current job 3 years, have received 2 promotions, and make less than 2% more than when I started. That's the way it works.

So they should settle for less than they deserve???
Their class sizes have increased, and so has their workload, but their pay has NOT increased.
And this is ok with all of you????
It's their opinion they deserve more--I really don't know anything beyond what was on their website, so I can't say that I believe they deserve more. Most peoples' workload in this country has increased over the past couple years, without comparable pay increases. Is it fun? No, of course not. But I don't think it's a reason to strike.

Seriously, they're in a union.
It's their right to strike. And they should if they aren't getting what they deserve
Oh, absolutely it's their right to strike. (I didn't mean to imply they shouldn't be allowed to strike, if that's how I came across). But it's everyone else's right to criticize their reasons for striking if they don't agree with them.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
No, actually, his teacher has more than "just" her bachelors.
Trust me, these teachers ARE underpaid.
And this is coming from a PARENT whose child is out of school right now due to these strikes.

Oh man. This whole d@mn city is as corrupt as the day is long, and we cannot wait to get the hell out of here.

CaliTerp07

No, actually, his teacher has more than "just" her bachelors.
I didn't say "just"...

Trust me, these teachers ARE underpaid.
And this is coming from a PARENT whose child is out of school right now due to these strikes.
If no one is willing to do the job for $30k, then yeah, you can argue they're underpaid. I can tell you that my mom's school district (in california, where she's a kindergarten teacher) is flooded with teachers willing to teach for salaries in the low $30's, so my reference point is based on that. I've always looked at teachers as being paid in multiple ways--money is a part of that, but there are huge intangible pay checks that other professions don't get.

I do think there should be "hazard pay" like the military gives soldiers in dangerous places, for teachers willing to teach in inner city schools. I was offered a job in inner city baltimore or DC while I got my masters, but man, that is a rough place to start your career. I don't want to break up gang fights and confiscate guns from my students.

Oh man. This whole d@mn city is as corrupt as the day is long, and we cannot wait to get the hell out of here.
I hope you are able to move away quickly if you're unhappy!

Chewbecca

feel the magic
No, I know you didn't say "just", nevermind, it wasn't meant crappy towards you, just crappy that getting a bachelors degree only means $30,000. a year.
Or something like that.

We will be moving, hopefully, after July sometime.
I know corruption is everywhere, and we won't escape it, but perhaps it won't be so...blatantly obvious somewhere else.
Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

Anyway, yeah, it's sad there are people willing to work for that little doing that job. That's what needing a job will do to people, and it's surely not their fault that they'd be willing to work for less right now.
Oh! And, his teacher is a middle school teacher.

I understand that elementary school teachers get paid less (though, I'm not sure they should get paid too much less).

I also understand that administrators make more because GENERALLY they have more education under their belt, but oh man!
These people are idiots.
And you know HOW these people get where they are, ultimately??????
Because of people voted in that hire them.
And the people voted in are voted in because...NO ONE VOTES.

Ultimately, yes, that's how it is.

I'm going to take this as you guys simply do not know the local politics here.
And where the heck did you get, release the hounds, that they are making 50k a year???

where did I get it from? Right here

KANKAKEE HIGH SCHOOL (KANKAKEE, IL) Detailed School Profile, Performance Statistics, Teacher and Student Info, Test Results

City: KANKAKEE, IL
School type: HIGH SCHOOL
Grades: 9 10 11 12
Schools in district: 11
District: KANKAKEE SCHOOL DIST 111
School Enrollment: 1243
White students: 28.1%
Black students: 62.3%
Hispanic students: 9.3%
Asian students: 0.3%
Native American students: 0.0%

Low income: 55.4%
Parental involvement: 92.0%
Attendance rate: 89.5%
Mobility rate: 17.9%
Chronic truants: 104
Chronic truants rate: 9.0%
Dropout rate: 3.9%
High School graduation rate: 66.4%
HS graduation rate for male students: 60.8%
HS graduation rate for female students: 72.5%
HS graduation rate for white students: 81.0%
HS graduation rate for black students: 61.0%
HS graduation rate for Hispanic students: 55.9%
HS graduation rate for Asian students: 100.0%

Average ACT composite score: 16.5
Average ACT English score: 15.4
Average ACT Math score: 16.7
Average ACT Reading score: 16.6
Average ACT Science score: 16.8
ACT test takers: 1
ACT % of school: 60.3%

Average class size HS: 16.1

Total number of teachers in district: 343
Teachers with bachelor's degree: 51.2%
Teachers with master's degree: 48.8%
Classes not taught by highly qualifed teachers: 0.8%
Male teachers: 19.8%
Female teachers: 80.2%
Teacher experience average: 12.9
Teacher/student ratio: 21.8

Statistics about KANKAKEE HIGH SCHOOL in KANKAKEE, IL

Average teacher salary: $47,122
Average administration staff salary: $80,856
Dollars spent per student: $7,280
Operating expenditure for instruction: $22,472,225
Operating expenditure for supporting services: $18,035,775
Operating expenditure for administration: $1,691,159
Operating expenditure for other campus costs: $7,795,969
Limited English Proficient students: 1.7%
and I did go to the website, and it didn't look all that bad to me. I made slightly less this year as well, considering all the job losses, loss of insurance plans, and cuts in payments to providers, I think I did pretty well. But life isn't easy for anyone right now, and as a whole I think teachers are valuable, but man can they whine with the best of them, and I lived in an auto town with a GM union.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
That's high school salary, and that's still insanely low.

That's not middle school salary.

Let them whine, it's their freakin' right.
Jesus.

They're IN A UNION.
They OBVIOUSLY can strike and whine all they want.

I still stick by what I said: MORE POWER TO THEM.
Good for them for striking.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
And HONESTLY, how can YOU, an outsider, even tell me you looked at that site and you don't think it's THAT bad???

Corrupt politics and unfairness is ok to you???

Oh, I guess they should stop bitching because they have a job, right??

If we all got paid in peanuts, should we be happy about that, too, because at least it's food???

WTF.
Way to go AMERICA!
What a freakin' attitude.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Wow, Chewbecca, I think you might want to take a step back. . . .
Sorry, I felt a tad attacked because I posted the thread, and I didn't realize that teachers striking got under people's skin so much.

I see petty politics. Maybe I see them because I am an outsider.

and yes, I think they're whining. And if you think 50K is insanely low for a teacher in an area where the median income is 30K and the average house is 112K, I might think you're insane. Teachers aren't underpaid, don't have bad retirements, have exceptional health care benefits, have great vacation packages and have a wonderful support staff in unions. They often get further education paid for by the employer and in turn get paid more. They have so many benefits and they are some of the luckiest employees in the country, yet they sure do know how to complain and whine. By the products most of them seem to be churning out, yeah, they should consider themselves lucky to have a job.

Here are the facts. I work for this town. I don't work for the county, or the Board of Education. I work for the city.

The former Board of Education President, Shapiro, hired Legge as Superintendent last year at 160K per year for 3 years. She received about 10K in moving expenses. She never moved, anway. Shapiro stepped down and let Kramer take over President. Names are just to keep things straight, by the way. Shapiro is running things behind the scenes. Legge has a reputation as a horrible person and "hammer". Previous district she worked at had a federal lawsuit filed against them, because of this:
herald-review.com | Blogs: Letters to the Editor

The teachers want a 0.8% raise. They would like to keep their part of health insurance premium at 20%. The BoE wants to give them nothing and make them pay 25%. Plus, they want to remove a standard retirement benefit completely.

The BoE fired 32 personnel last year, mostly teachers. They hired a few more admins. Plus, they maxed everyone out on the legal 6% for admins. Sadly, they also moved and repositioned some admins under different headings to give them even more money (average 10K increase).

Kramer has ties with several of the school's contractors. Her actions are unethical. Plus, she shut down the school pool. When parents asked where kids could compete and swim, she said the Kankakee River. I cannot think of a single year, where a child or more has not drowned in the river. I say all this just to show character. Also, none of the Board members attended the negotiations which was standard practice.

The negotiations are costing us $600 an hour for the Chicago attorney they are using. My calculations put the taxpayers' tab at 35K just for 16 meetings.

So yea, the teachers are simply fed up. I don't care how bad the economy is. You can come at me with that sob story when you no longer have internet access. I haven't received a raise in 2 years, myself, and I still back these men and women. It's more about the BS our idiot local politicians have created.

Now how in the hell did some friggin' pictures create such a storm?

Amstaffer

Ehh...I went to the link, but I don't understand the specifics, so I'm not sure what they're striking on. Sounds like other people are getting raises in administration, but teachers aren't? Isn't that the way it always works in a recession? I know in my company, the only people who got raises the past two years are execs. I actually got a promotion (though I'm calling it a "nomotion") this year. More responsibilities, more hours, but no salary increase. It sucks, but I'd never strike over it.

Teachers have it pretty darn good, financially. I'm getting my masters to go into teaching, and while I'll never be wealthy as an educator, I will always be comfortable. I will make nearly $50k starting out with my masters, to work 9 months of the year (and the median home value here is more like 500k). I will only have students for an average of 5 hours a day (high school), with 3 hours of prep time built into my school day. Yes, there is prep time/grading/planning after hours, but once you've been teaching for 4-5 years, you can reuse a LOT of what you already have. I will be doing something fun, rewarding, and meaningful. And I'll be getting paid for it. I really can't complain about money at all.

I do believe that teachers are under appreciated and often have to deal with a lack of respect from parents and students, but I don't buy the underpaid nonsense. If the administration is crap, deal with that somehow--but striking isn't the way to do that.
If you think teacher only work 9 months a year you really need to do more research on your new profession. If your school only has you with students 5 hours a day then let me know where you are at so I can get my resume out to your HR people (just kidding). Make sure you realize that you will be the lowest paid licensed professional. You will also be the scapegoat for all the failures of the educational system. Student, Parents, unemployment and the general breakdown of the family and society will never be mentioned.

That said, reality of most large city budgets is that you can't raise teacher salaries. At this time there just isn't money available....teacher deserve more but you can't ask for money that isn't there.

The teacher should be bargaining for things that don't cost money in current budgets (Residency laws, Retirement rules etc...)

Members online

No members online now.