what to do?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
So, Buddy is on a elimination diet and part of that required that we wean him off of his allergy meds. He was doing okay for a few days and then they just got so bad. I treated his paw with meds last night and have him a benadryl. He looks better already, but I'm really worried about his condition and if this is the best for him right now. He already has a compromised immune system.. he can't have any of his vitamins or the like until we get down to the bottom of his food allergies.

Do we continue the ED? Or stop it and try a grain-free kibble he's not had before? Do we just give him benadryl when he needs it? He needs to get meds for his paw, I'm sure, and those will probably be antibiotics. Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I really have no idea. Poor guy :(

Have you talked to your vet about it -I assume he's the one doing this or is it Mordy? I would definitely talk to him/her about it before doing anything.

I would get his paw taken care of if he's in pain. What's wrong with it?

Do you have ANY idea of what could be causing his allergies? Meat source or grains?

Have you thought about just going full-blown raw for a while to see if that helps?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I really have no idea. Poor guy :(

Have you talked to your vet about it -I assume he's the one doing this or is it Mordy? I would definitely talk to him/her about it before doing anything.
The vet had suggested switching to a new protein source kibble...Eukanuba's fish and sweet potato. :rolleyes: Mordy has actually developed the plan for us. She is very helpful.

I would get his paw taken care of if he's in pain. What's wrong with it?
Yeast infection, they occur regularly, if not in his ear then on his paw. We have topical meds for it and I started those last night and wrapped his paw so he wouldn't gnaw on it.

Do you have ANY idea of what could be causing his allergies? Meat source or grains?
No clue. They were okay and then we switched to Canidae and they blew up again... the thing is they have the same protein sources, so it could be the amount of them, or it could be the grains.

Have you thought about just going full-blown raw for a while to see if that helps?
I did and was ready for it but Mordy said the best way to go would be an elimination diet. I'm inclined to agree with her (she's always been right :D ), but Buddy's allergies are really bad and we need to be able to provide help for him.

I am at my wit's end here.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I wish I had some knowledge here...but I'm sorry--I'm clueless on this! I sure hope you can figure it out though.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
If raws something you haven't tried, and raw has been known to help allergies, I'd say go for it.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'd go all raw.. but I'd stick to only one or two protein sources if possible, at least in the beginning.

But really, that's my only idea. I'm sorry I can't help more. :(

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh, yes Nol, forgot to mention that. Definitly stick to one -like chicken- protien source.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I use Canidae Chicken & Rice formula (pet store orders it for me) since Max didn't do well on the regular formula with a mixture of protein sources.

Herschel

I think you should stick with the elimination diet a little bit longer. Treat the "blow ups" as you have been--with Benadryl and the topical treatment.

If he improves in the long run then you will start to get some answers. However, if you switch foods now he may still have problems, or he might do better for a while before reverting. Then you would be really lost. Do you see what I mean?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I think you should stick with the elimination diet a little bit longer. Treat the "blow ups" as you have been--with Benadryl and the topical treatment.

If he improves in the long run then you will start to get some answers. However, if you switch foods now he may still have problems, or he might do better for a while before reverting. Then you would be really lost. Do you see what I mean?
I'm hardly an expert on this, but I have to agree . . .you want to do this in as scientific a manner as possible . . . change one thing . . .hold . . . see what happens . . .change another thing . . .otherwise you'll never know exactly what's wrong and may drive yourself, and poor Buddy, off the deep end. I think, as horrible as this sounds, that you want to be patient. Because you need information about the exact problem more than anything else.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*

Yes, I do. It's just really hard, because he's so miserable. :(

ACooper

I agree with Herschel too..........it's darkest before the dawn and all that.

Give it a chance to work before you try something else. I know it must be hard, you want a solution NOW so he can have some peace :(

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Mordy developed his plan, Renee.

I'm going to get a refill on his allergy meds and he'll just have to be on them until the ED does its wonders (we hope). :) He's in too bad of a condition to NOT be on them.

I remember that Mordy developed the plan for you, Nikki . . . I just wondered if you'd had a chance to talk to her about the problems you're running into right now.

If he's on his allergy meds, how will you know whether or not he's reactive as you introduce different things to his diet? :confused:

Poor widdle Buddy . . . . he's had a ruff time of things already! :(

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
We weaned him off the meds, which was part of the plan. But his condition is too bad for him to not have the meds- hence my post and the trouble I'm having with all of this.

Members online

No members online now.