tibetan spaniel

I was searching around pet finder and saw the cutest little tibetan spaniel but I have never heard of this breed before.

ANyone have one, or experience with one?

Are they good dogs, do they have any significant health problems with their breed.

Thanks

ELissa

mojozen

bullie lover
I don't have one but I researched them before I found Mojo. They are a legit breed - cousins to both the Lhasa Apsos and Tibetian Mastiffs... however, unlike the Lhasas they didn't leave Tibet until about the early 1900s and they are still pretty rare today in the US. When I was last at the CHicago dog show in february I only saw one breeder showing her tibetan spaniels that day.

They aren't really a spaniel, just another small guard dog that the monestaries used to alert them to visitors. The way I understood it the farms surrounding the monestaries would have Tibetian Mastiffs who would set up the first alarm. The Tibetian spaniels would pick up the alarm and they would pass it onto the temple dogs the Lhasa Apsos.

I don't know if that helps any...

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i think their cute little dogs!,
i know there is a guy showing one on the island here

I became the proud owner of a 13 year old tibetan spaniel 2 weeks ago.

She is the sweetest little dog ever, she is so funny and playful.

I've never had a tibbie until now, but if they are all like Pepe I'd highly recommend them.

She loves people, though I have read that they tend to ignore strangers, Pepe obviously being the exception to the rule.

They are extremely alert, thats what they were bred for but Pepe wakes up at the slightest noise, and often barks, waking me up in the process(only because she sleeps in my bedroom), that really is a desirable thing I guess, and may prove useful one day.

I'm not aware of major health problems, though I do know that they are more prone to problems with anaesthesia.

I've found her to be the perfect dog, small, very portable,. loves travelling on car and bus journeys, nothing seems to phase her , she went to the groomers for the first time the other day and behaved perfectly, wasn't at all frightened.

My brother''s friend had one named Odie and I used to take him for walks often when we lived closer to them. Fantastic little dog! No problems from what I remember. There is a person on another board i frequent that has a cute lil bitch too. Very hyper and active but other than that a good-natured lil thing

Members online

No members online now.