I have a couple of questions.....

I've been wanting to rescue a Boxer (or Pittie cross) for a while, but I have a couple of questions about whether or not I should rescue one, and if so, what I should be looking for:

1. We will be getting a Leader Dog puppy to raise in Spring of 2006, so what would be the best age of dog to rescue? I DON'T want two puppies in the house (that would drive me crazy, and I don't think it is allowed by the orginization) so what age to Boxers norm. stop acting like puppies? (Maybe puppies isn't the best word....Boxers always act like them! ;) ) I'm thinking around 3 or 4?

2. Since we are getting the Leader Dog puppy and it won't be spayed, would it be better to rescue a male or female dog? I don't know what the LD puppy will be (any gender, either a Lab, Golden, or GSD) so what would be the best gender of dog to rescue?

3. And with all of that said, would it be wize to just wait and not rescue a dog, since I will be getting a LD puppy in about a year?

I have to go now because my 9yr old sis wants me to play a card game with her. Thanks for all of your help!!

You're definitely on the right track, thinking more toward an adult dog since you're going to be getting a leader dog to care for in another year. By that time an adult dog should be well settled in and can actually be a help, especially with socializing the pup.

As long as your dog is spayed or neutered it shouldn't make any real difference whether you get a male or female.

This is something you'll have to discuss with the rest of your family because it will affect everyone, but I surely won't discourage you from rescuing! The more the merrier - to a point of course! lol :D

Thanks for the reply!
Renee750il said:
By that time an adult dog should be well settled in and can actually be a help, especially with socializing the pup.
I never thought of that. That might help convince my mom that getting one would be a good idea! lol
I really want an older Boxer, but I can't find any Boxer rescues around Indiana. (I found one in Indy I guess, but they only have one dog! [Which I suppose is good, but....]) Does anybody know of any rescue orginizations that are close to Indy?

Members online

No members online now.