Thinking of Mini Donkey or Sheep

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Ok since I don't want my new horse (foal really) to be lonely or depressed I wanted to get him a companion. i first of course thought of a goat but you know im not too sure about that now since they have a tendency to head butt. So im going between a Sheep most likely a Ewe or a Mini Donkey to share the shed and paddock and horse pasture with my appy/Arab (still thinking of names). The people who owned the ranch before me bred, raised, and trained Quarter Horses (hence the large amount of property and shelter) and they also kept goats. I left a lean two next to the shed/stall which is right next to the stall and is nice and sturdy its big enough for both a sheep or mini donkey and there is a small feed trough right beside it. Both the shed and lean two need some cleaning done to it since my leased mare Topic a year ago. I kept this place untouched by the dogs because i always planned on getting a horse someday and left the lean two just in case because I was interested in goats.
Anyways just wondering opinions I right now since its not the big season do have the money for this my job is good im making the extra money from shows one a month and I will have some money after the puppies are sold not much but some. Im also planning on taking on one or two trainees this summer to be boarded here which always brings in money.
But I was just wondering which sounds better to you guys a sheep or mini donkey ?

nedim

I also think you should go with the donkey. Idk, but I think it seems weird to have a goat as a playmate for a horse.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
If you can afford a Donkey I would go with the Donkey! But I think the Ewe would possibly be less expensive!!

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Gustav said:
If you can afford a Donkey I would go with the Donkey! But I think the Ewe would possibly be less expensive!!
I was thinking of that too Gustav

Smkie I havent thought of a llama lol I might just have to look into that just to keep my option open.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Ok so i was looking up lambs for sale just for the heck of it in my area and came up with this site. This is a female named PatchworkDasher? And after studying up on this breed of sheep im very interested. Here's a pic of this little girl I don't know im pretty interested.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
lol I was just thinking my new foal may think she's just a mini appy with her spots lol.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
the lamb is very cute. I haven't really been a big fan of sheep in general though. All the sheep that I have known have been very mean. Maybe they were boys though. It's a cute lamb though, I think so.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Im also very much so in love with this Jennet Satroma Ranch Winter Lace she was born in 2003 and costs $2000 not too bad. I really like her alot they SAY is is extremly mellow and layed back loved everyone and everything kind of girl. They had anouther Jennet I really liked named Satroma Ranch I love Lucy she was a pretty chestnut with a cute fetlock. But she was already sold :(.

Anyways here is winter Lace

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Awwww, they are both so adorable how could you choose between them? Lol! :D

Saje

Island dweller
I don't know. I think a donkey would be the best choice. Especially a young one so they can grow up together. Older donkey's don't always bond with horses. I know that goats sometimes accompany racehorses and I've never heard of a sheep being friends with a horse. I've seen plenty of llamas and horses together and they were never bonded. They just did their own separate thing. Whereas my ex-boss had a donkey that loved the stallion! They'd play together all the time.

In my book it's handsdown the donkey. They are the most like horses (they can breed), they are sturdy for horseplay (hee hee hee) and I've seen them bond with horses.

Just my two cents. :D

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
We had a horse called Illico at the yard and he loved his pet sheep!!!!! I would have got Cavan a Ewe or too but I'm allergic to sheep! Sheep are also good because they mow down the patches of grass that the fussy horses leave! That way you don't get big clumps of grass and patches of bare turf where the horses have been!
Donkey's can be at risk of lung worm! So this is something to take into consideration!!
And like anything minature they can have bone problems! It is alot less likely than in other animals because Donkey's are more sturdy but it still could be something to consider!!

joce

Our neighbors have a sheep for the horses. I'd stay away from the donkeys. There is a whole herd of them down the street(mini and non)and they terrorize the draft horse that is stuck with them.
(Its the lady that took the blind horse on animal planet). They may just be so bad because they are in a herd though. I see them for sale all the time for like 300 though,2000 sounds like a lot.

My moms friend that has all the friesens adopted a buero through the mustang adoption thing and she loves it. The noises it makes would drive me nuts but I guess the horses really like him too.

The only thing about the sheep is theirs seems to get bored easy. It escapes sometimes and it seems like it takes the whole town to catch it. Its a black sheep so they say its the black sheep of the family :)

A matching mini would be cute(if this link works right) www.tbart.net

Remember, you're going to have to shear sheep!

I was thinking along the same lines as Joce. A burro would be a good companion, and they aren't nearly as vulnerable to predators. I don't think I'd go with a first generation wild burro though, as they tend to view all dogs as wolves and coyotes and cats as potential moutain lions and will kill them given the chance. A domestic burro would be a good choice.

Goats can be very difficult to keep in a fence.

Or maybe even a mule?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my ex had a little donkey named Jack that l loved so much, he knew i was pregant and would genly bump my belly every morning i went downt to say hello...he was older and just as sweet as could be. He would sneak up behind grampa dan when he was fishing and steal the tackle box..kicking up his heels as he made his get away. I would have taken him over both saddle breds in a skinny minute.

S

Stanna

I'd suggest reconsidering a goat. I hear they are great horse companions and very compatible grazing partners. They bond very well and are cheap and easy to transport. Maybe you can get a nanny and make some goat cheese :)

Most importantly I think is to not wait too long to get your horsie in herd mate.

Members online

No members online now.