Thinking of switching vets, what to look for in a new one

Cardiparty

So, I've been with my current veterinarian seven years or so. It's where I've brought all of the animals; the foster kitties and dogs and the permanent residents.

When I first started going there, they were awesome sauce; the prices were reasonable, the vet staff was more into holistic medicine, and they took good care of four legged family.

Here in the past couple of years the prices have increased, the waiting room staff is rude, and they're very disorganized.

Earlier this past year, they lost Miz Naughty's knee and spine x-rays. I found out the hard way, too! When OFA only got her hip x-rays, I called to figure out why they hadn't posted all the x-rays that were submitted and they told me they only got the hips.

I called the vet office and after three days of, "Oh, let me pass that message to the x-ray tech," I finally demanded a supervisor and was told the tech lost the majority of the x-rays we paid for.

Finally, they found them and submitted them.

The last time I took Lil' Sis into the same vet, they scanned her microchip and we talked about flea and heartworm meds and she got the last part of her shots.

Got the bill in the mail, and they charged me an extra 300.00 (no kidding) for flea/tick/heart worm meds which I didn't order and didn't take home.

Called the billing office, got that fixed.

Yesterday, I called to get Lil' Sis' microchip number because I needed to verify it. They didn't have it on file and had no record of it being scanned.

Now, I think I'm just done. They cost too much money and they're unorganized and I don't want to deal with them anymore.

So, what are some good questions to ask a potential vet office? If I find one, should I go ahead and have the dogs' medical files sent over or wait until it's time for a visit?

Taqroy

Wow that's terrible. I also found my vet through a recommendation (and have sent at least three other people there b/c they're awesome). Do you know anyone in your area that has similar vet needs? What exactly are you looking for? I know when I was looking I needed someone that was good with scared dogs, okay with feeding raw, and not pushy about vaccinations. I also preferred a practice that knew something about dog body language.

I think your questions are going to depend on what your requirements are (but really I'd go the recommendation route if at all possible because it's a lot easier).

Members online

No members online now.