Tell me I do not need a papillon

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I may not say it (when it comes to people with A LOT of children) but I sure do think it lol
Not only when it comes to attention.. but deep in the corner of my head there is always a little voice like "Soo..sending all those kids to college you are going to do..how?.."

lol it's just easier to ask with dogs.

Taqroy

And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol.
My main reason (and the reason I tell people to think hard about it) for not wanting dogs close in age is the getting old factor. I've spent more on Murph in the last year than in the four prior to that combined. Plus, the girls are really close to the same age and if they went at the same time I'd be devastated. Those aren't really things you have to consider with kids the same age (or close to it).

On topic - if it's not going to disrupt your life and your pack in anything but a good way....why not? She's adorable and you guys are fantastic owners.

Doberluv

You guys are fantastic owners. I'm sure it would work out fine. I understand about those group things. That's how it's been with my dogs when I had several. And with Chi's....you can hold 2 or 3 under one arm and the others in the other arm. It is different with tiny dogs. And there's always lots of room on laps. It sure does help too, when they all get along. I'm thankful for that too in my house hold.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
We are the same. Anything less than four dogs would just seem empty.

I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant. And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol. Kids are WAY more attention needing than dogs. My kid wasn't even out of swaddle age when people asked "when are you having more??" Ah...just the one, thank you.

Mind you, I have the Border Collie of children....without the benefit of a "stay" command.;)
DH grew up in a family with 8 kids, and lots of people asked that. They were actually snubbed by some family members that thought they had too many kids. Honestly, I can't imagine having 8 of anything other than fish or chickens-lol.

noludoru

Bored Now.
One thing that I'd worry about is she's only 10 months old & you already have such a young pack and I'd worry about about the future having so many so close in age.

She looks super sweet :)
This is my only worry, but that was already addressed.

I could tell you not to, but frankly, I think you should. She is a CUTE little thing, and probably very drivey, like Rory and Emma. Most of the potential adopters who will want her are going to be the type who want a stuffed animal. . . not a Papillion. If you have the okay from Ian, she'd probably be much happier in your home than anywhere else. She would get tons of attention and training and be around other dogs all day. As long as that will not detract from the individual attention you give your dogs now, I think it's a great idea.

I do always find it amusing that, at least in my experience, no one ever asks someone with multiple children 'How do you handle it, it's unfair to your older children?!" or "you're having another?!" when someone is pregnant. And many times,people admonish "Don't get dogs close in age" Yet, getting another dog is always 'more?! How will you keep up on attention?!" lol. Kids are WAY more attention needing than dogs. My kid wasn't even out of swaddle age when people asked "when are you having more??" Ah...just the one, thank you.
I've asked it of people before, and have been chastised for my rudeness. I'll stand by it though. If you had a nasty, awful pregnancy or birth with tons of complications and tell me you're considering another one, I WILL ask you if you're nuts and get you to explain to me why that's a good idea. If you ever complain about not having enough time/money for anything and tell me you're considering another kid, I will point out the fallacy in your logic. In general, though, because it's considered so rude to question why someone wants to have kids, I don't ask strangers these types of things. . .

Romy

Taxiderpy
I've asked it of people before, and have been chastised for my rudeness. I'll stand by it though. If you had a nasty, awful pregnancy or birth with tons of complications and tell me you're considering another one, I WILL ask you if you're nuts and get you to explain to me why that's a good idea.
On the subject of nasty difficult pregnancies, most of the time it's a one off thing. As in, each pregnancy is different. Both of mine were difficult, but for entirely different reasons. The doctor said I could have a third and that there was no reason I would have a repeat of the same problems of the first and second. It could go perfectly without a hitch, or I could have a whole other separate bunch of complications.

Basically people considering another one do it because it's worth 9 months of horrific suffering to have another child in their life. lol

Anyway, Jessie it sounds like if you guys are ready for another dog she'd make a good addition to your family. :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Do it!

My boss has 10 aussies and a mixed breed, there...now 5 small dogs and a BC doesn't seem like much, does it :p

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice

I think your home would be a great place for a Papillon, and just like the rest of the people on here, you seem like a great owner. :)

So, I agree with the responses posted here. I think she'd be thrilled to land such a nice home.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Everyone needs a papillon.
That.

Or five papillons.

I know I say this all the time but they're really just a great breed. I was trying to convince myself this morning that I really don't want another papillon. The papillon want always creeps back in. They are just that awesome.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had 6 for a couple times. 6 is too many for me but it was doable. The only issues were health (old dogs then Hiro's problems) and then Ada being totally untrained.

One thing I will comment on is the 'it's okay if you don't have high energy dogs'. Paps can have quite a lot of energy so I wouldn't assume this dog will necessarily be a 'chill' dog. But not all are like that. You could have 6 Roses very very easily without doing much at all. Having 6 Mias would drive even me batshit crazy. I've joked about buying Mia's brother when he was for sale. My entire family's response was a flat 'NO! Are you crazy!?' :p

Lizmo

Water Junkie
All I have to say is this is exactly why I never go to Petsmart on the weekend. LOL

Oh, and you should get her. Yes. :D

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Adoption? Just Do It.

On another note. You need a pap. ;) Black and white would compliment Rory well. Plus, what is one more dog to shoot Christmas photos of?!

JacksonsMom

I think in your case, it's totally doable.

I could barely handle 3 when I was dogsitting but that was because all 3 (one of them being mine) are very active and we were in a small townhouse with a tiny square for a yard, so I HAD to take them to the dog park every day or go on a walk, so the getting every one leashed up and harnessed up, in and out of car, into house, etc, was a lot for me.

But when I'm at my dads house, having the 3 is like nothing. One is very low energy, one is medium energy and one is medium-high energy (Jackson) and there's a big fenced in yard, and the other dogs don't really go that many places like Jackson does (he pretty much goes everywhere with me that he can, on errands, etc). And it sort of sounds like that's your situation - you and your husband rotate and take turns with taking them places, you have a nice yard, some mellow dogs with some higher energy. I think you all could easily rock it and pull it off. :) And uh, YES, cuteness. I still keep trying to tell myself that I don't want a Papillon. But secretly, I do.

Members online

No members online now.