Allergic to grass

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus is allergic to grass. Or at least that is what the vet said that it sounds like. She didnt run any test though. Either way....

he is having a flare up. he has been eating at his underarms and inner legs. Also he has scratched scabs on his ear! He has been spending loads of time outside for the past month, so its no wonder why he is broke out. We just got a doggy door and he wants to stay outside most of the time.

I gave him a benadryl just now. Usually that works pretty well, and if not we go to the vet for steroids.

I was just wondering....
Does anyone else have a dog that is allergic to grass? and what do you do to keep allergies at bay.

When we first moved here basically the what is now the dog yard was mostly dirt. So we planted clover rather than grass seed. but of course grass eventually found its way into the yard. now the yard is a third mud, an the rest a 50 50 clover grass mix.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
We keep the Grass short & use itchy Spray. Benadryl when bad.
Have you tryed Pj's?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Pajamas?!

that would never work, Ruckus would be so upset with me. thanks anyway!
his belly is usually the worse, but its his underarms this time.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Where did you used to live before you moved?

The reason I'm asking is that we moved from Connecticut to Tennessee 2 years ago and one of my dogs has had problems with allergies. Peanut breaks out a lot down here. He loves to roll in the grass outside. We thought he had anal gland problems, but the vet ruled it out and said it's allergies. I give him Benedryl when he's scratching too much. I've had to put a spray on his rear so he doesn't lick it too much to get swollen.

I know the type of grass/weeds/pollen here in TN is different than back in CT.

Our backyard has a mixture of grass/weeds, etc.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I just lived about 20 minutes away.

I need to get some cortisone spray to see if thats better than what I am using. I use a foam that as tea tree in it. It really does work well, but I hate using it multiple times a day since it does have tea tree in it. You have to be careful with tea tree especially with a dog that licks.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yes, Happy is allergic to grass. Benadryl is about the only thing you can do. Otherwise it was just watching him a lot and making sure he didn't chew his feet raw. Being that he walks on the grass with his feet, his little paws always got the worst of it and he would bite/chew them when they itched.

If it's really bad and it's making him miserable, covering his body with some kind of clothing (like a full pajama) to reduce the exposure to the grass and therefore reduce his allergic reaction is going to be far preferable...

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks. maybe i will check on the pajamas for next spring (when its worse)
i will have to take pics of a sheltie in pajamas!

MicksMom

Have you tried wiping Ruckus down with a damp washcloth or baby wipes when he comes back inside? That works wonders for Caleb.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
yeah, he wears his booties. but for some reason his belly and underarms get irritated alot more than his feet.

Coors is allergic to everything, but bynadryl seems to work most of the time. I have to take a break from it with him sometimes, because he seems to get immune to it or something. After a week off, he does great for a while longer again.

Members online

No members online now.