I Got A Brown Stick Dog Puppy (Mal)

Aleron

That's right! I DID see him this morning on FB, he's an Outback Jack son.
His sire is an Outback Jack son out of Lola.

Pup went to class with me last night. He rides great in the car and is extremely good in the crate. After Savvy's class I put Sav in the van (he's not nearly as good about being left crated while another dog is out LOL) and brought the pup in. He met probably 6-8 people including two kids and saw quite a few more "neutral" strangers and of course the dogs. He was really, really good although I told everyone to wait until he approaches them. A few people treated him when he came up and I treated him for friendly behavior as well. He made friends with a couple people, one to the point that he went over to her and gave her kisses. So a huge improvement in how he acted when I first met him, although right now the improvement is mostly due to a change in how he is handled. I am setting him up to feel confident and like he is in control of meeting people, so it is not putting him in a position to get worried. And he learned to sit for a treat and kept offering to show me just how good he could that.

He also found his prey drive :) He was carrying around a pool noddle (Savvy's current favorite toy) in the yard before class last night. After class, he discovered a semi deflated mini basketball and thought it seemed fun to play with. He was chasing and biting the ball so I figured I'd give the flirt pole another try. He wasn't interested in it earlier but had a great time with it last night.

He seems to have decent structure, from what you can judge when they are all legs. Physically, he shows some signs of poor care - splayed feet and weak pasterns. He is sooooo clumsy right now too but it doesn't stop him from trying to make big leaps. I think he is going to be one handsome dog when he's mature. His flop ear even seems to be trying to come up this morning.

My impression of him on day two of having him is he is a nice puppy overall but is suffering from lack of exposure, socialization, training and experiences. I think he is young enough that he will overcome that though and I am impressed by his vast improvement in just two days of being here. More pictures later :)

My impression of him on day two of having him is he is a nice puppy overall but is suffering from lack of exposure, socialization, training and experiences. I think he is young enough that he will overcome that though and I am impressed by his vast improvement in just two days of being here. More pictures later :)
That's great! This little guy is so lucky that you found him.

monkeys23

Aww, I'm so happy he is doing so well! He is seriously lucky to have such a foster home! Can't wait for more pics. :)

Haha, as far as new name.... I kinda decided months ago that if (well when since neither of the girls would be keen on another girl lol) I get a boy dog its name needs to be Archer. Like from the cartoon. :D

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We have a new client at work named Archer... He's super cute!

Seriously awesome stuff Aleron, if anyone can help that boy it's you. :)

As for my next girl.... Ahhhh it's getting harder to say I don't want another dog... lol

Aleron

I have gotten some more info about the puppies and it seems the breeder still has 7 of them left :(

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have gotten some more info about the puppies and it seems the breeder still has 7 of them left :(
That's a whole lot of 14 week old puppies...

And if the prev owner had him less than a week and he was showing signs of poor nutrition, I would think he was already that was when the person got him and wonder if the rest of the pups are in the same shape...plus the apparent lack of socialization, etc. :(

Lyzelle

Wow! I kinda agree with Shai on that. :(

Still, if any need fosters/possible home, I'm wide open and willing to drive 12 hours in any direction as long as it isn't over the border.

So sad there is just 7 more 14 week old pups floating around. Is the breeder still trying to sell or place? Maybe I missed something, but the whole thing seems odd.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Do you know if the breeder is still trying to sell them or just looking to get rid of them? If they might be open to rescue I can contact the mal rescue coordinator in that area to see if we can get something set up...

Lyzelle

Lyz how far away are you from the BC border? Because I could possibly foster as well if we could get a pup to me.
I think it's around 10-12 hours depending on how far west I go. Seattle is about 11 hours for me. I'm much closer to the Alberta border, though...only 3 hours or so north.

Aleron

Well pup is doing great! He's into toys now - loves chasing the flirt pole and a chasing/biting/killing a half deflated mini-basketball. He's getting pretty good at tug too. His dog to dog skills are greatly improving. He has been pretty good with all but one person he has met (my boss, who tried to make friends with him while he was laying under a counter but he was ok with her afterwards). I found out that he had only been in his the home I got him from for 3 days and prior to that, he'd not been away from the breeder's house/his littermates and I think he hadn't really seen many strangers. So considering all that, he's not nearly as bad as he could be.

New pictures, as promised :)

Pointy!

Best stack I could get alone

Recall :)

Flirt Pole!

Members online

No members online now.