Hamster Bin Cage

Locke

There seems to be a few hamster people on here so I thought I'd ask about bin cages. Before adding a new hamster, I've decided I want to make a cage out of a large plastic bin. I've read some "how-to" pages and watched some videos, but have a few questions. This is for a syrian hamster by the way.

1. Will drilling holes be sufficient for ventilation or should I cut out a large section and cover it with mesh??

2. Are different levels and ladders needed?

3. Do you think I could attach a wire cage to the bin somehow??

If you have any links to really good instructions (with step by step pictures if possible) that would be great. I've watched a few videos, but only found one that was really good, but her habitat was for a dwarf hamster I think.

ETA: If you recommend different levels, what sort of materials should I make them out of? I was thinking wood, but that absorbs urine and would not be hygienic.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
There seems to be a few hamster people on here so I thought I'd ask about bin cages. Before adding a new hamster, I've decided I want to make a cage out of a large plastic bin. I've read some "how-to" pages and watched some videos, but have a few questions. This is for a syrian hamster by the way.

1. Will drilling holes be sufficient for ventilation or should I cut out a large section and cover it with mesh??

You at least need to cut out a large section on the lid and cover it with mesh. Cutting a section on each side (or just the front) would be even better.

2. Are different levels and ladders needed?

Not needed, no, and depending on the height it could be dangerous for them if they fall off. A level or two at a medium-low height would be fine, though!

3. Do you think I could attach a wire cage to the bin somehow??

If the wire cage had a plastic bottom, you could attach it to the bin with a tube or pipe of some sort.

If you have any links to really good instructions (with step by step pictures if possible) that would be great. I've watched a few videos, but only found one that was really good, but her habitat was for a dwarf hamster I think.

Here's a link:

Hamster Bin Cages

ETA: If you recommend different levels, what sort of materials should I make them out of? I was thinking wood, but that absorbs urine and would not be hygienic.

I'd use plastic or something, not wood. You could even just get one of those little locker organizers (http://www.organizeit.com/images/hires/hr_tallshelf.jpg) and cover it with something (so the mesh doesn't injure it's feet) and use it as a level.
I think bins are great.

I personally prefer aquariums (as long as the lid provides enough ventilation) or a LARGE prefab cage just for aesthetics, but I have had a bin, and they're easy to clean, and depending on what size you get, MUCH bigger than any prefab cages that could be found.

The prefab cage I have for my syrian hamster is a "rat" cage. It is enough space, but not huge, and I'll most likely make her a bin cage eventually.

Maxy24

I would make VERY sure there are no ridges inside the bin, I know a lot of plastic bins have those. If the walls are not 100% flat I think the hamster would be able to chew out.

Brattina88

It would be so cool to make a hamster cage like a mini-ferret nation :eek: LOL
*does not need a hamster*

Locke

I've never done it, but I did see some links while I was looking at DIY guinea pig cages (if anyone has any links for them, please let me know LOL)
Hamster Bin Cages this one has some cool pictures to go along with instructions ;)
Hamster D.I.Y - Mythic Hams neat ideas
That second link is awesome thanks!!

My hamsters always chewed through the bins.
That's what I'm worried about...my last hamster Crumb, would chew EVERYTHING! I found some really good THICK plastic bins for about $13. Also, I hope that with a bunch of exercise time each night, a roomy three level cage, she/he won't be too bored, which should help with the chewing. I'll also put a wooden hut in there for her/him, so they can chew that too and will hopefully like that more than the plastic :S

Thanks for t
he link!
I think bins are great.

I personally prefer aquariums (as long as the lid provides enough ventilation) or a LARGE prefab cage just for aesthetics, but I have had a bin, and they're easy to clean, and depending on what size you get, MUCH bigger than any prefab cages that could be found.

The prefab cage I have for my syrian hamster is a "rat" cage. It is enough space, but not huge, and I'll most likely make her a bin cage eventually.
The cages sold around here are CRAZY expensive. I admit, I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of a bin and a wire cage on top, but I'm also not willing to spend over $200 for a proper sized cage when I could spend less than half that and make a bigger environment.

I would make VERY sure there are no ridges inside the bin, I know a lot of plastic bins have those. If the walls are not 100% flat I think the hamster would be able to chew out.
I will double check that, thanks!

It would be so cool to make a hamster cage like a mini-ferret nation :eek: LOL
*does not need a hamster*
But they're so cute and fun!!!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
A boy on my floor has a bin cage, he has it connected to a normal cage by hamster tubes! (he cut/drilled a hole through the side and shoved a tube in there)
It works great for him and its really cool!

I just have an aquarium because I like the look of it better and I can take pics thru it lol

Locke

A boy on my floor has a bin cage, he has it connected to a normal cage by hamster tubes! (he cut/drilled a hole through the side and shoved a tube in there)
It works great for him and its really cool!
That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm going to either connect the wire cage to the side of the bin by using the bottom door of the wire cage, and put a tube connecting the bin and cage side by side, or putting the cage on the top of the bin lid and connecting the tube vertically...

My boyfriend is buying the supplies for me and helping me build it as my christmas present :)

ETA: This is the bin I'm getting Omni Box, 25 L | Canadian Tire

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.