What Should I Do?

Avi Needs A Friend

Taking suggestions
Hello,

I have had my female pit-aussie mix, Avi, for a year. She has some quirks, pulls, is DA sometimes, working on resource guarding, but she is loving loving loving loving, responsive, alert and very well behaved. She is med-high energy, a breeze to train and dominant. She bonds closely like both aussies and pits.

I have a foster to adopt male. He has pretty intense allergy issues, intense drive with toys, extremely hard to train. Toys don't work. Not at all food motivated and, lets face it, doesn't know the difference between a dog or a chair. It has taken him 6 mos. to accept comfortable petting and aproaches for close affection rarely. He is very submissive with the exception of toys, he loves kids but with the toy drive he's basically an 80 lb liability with seemingly little bonding ability.0 people pleasing desire. Many of my friends have owned pits for years, its how I got to love the breed, but he's just not a typical pitty personality in my experience. The lights are on but nobodys home. My female gets frustrated because he treats her much the same. We spend each day training, playing etc. Hes just beyond my ability and she wants a buddy. He'd be great with a single guy that hangs out at home - not me...

1 question: Do I keep trying, give him more time, more money on obedience, more effort? Is he going to come around or will he always be aloof and non-responsive? I would have already given him back if I thought he would be ok being sent back...He came to me from the rescue 30lbs underweight bad shape...they had for 9 mos so no excuses really. He's really not what I want, what do i do?

2 question: I want a second dog...Any suggestions? I want intelligent med- enegy, high bonding ability, affectionate, athletic. (think standard pitty or aussie personality). Doesn't have to be a pit, but would like it to be if anybody knows of any in the midwest. (looked at all the rescues-nothing caught me) Submissive males only.

~Tucker&Me~

Considering that your current dog can be DA, are you prepared to crate them when you can't supervise?

As much as I feel sorry for your foster to adopt, if he is not what you are looking for, I would say check out some other dogs. If you adopt him and do not feel very attatched, I would worry that you would never be happy and he would pick up on those vibes.

Avi Needs A Friend

Taking suggestions
Those were my thoughts as well. I just can't send him back! He is a sweet dog...really, just no fun for the energetic female duo that my dog and I are ;)

I was unclear. She is only DA on-leash or with aggressive females. Even then, with appropriate introductions, does fine under supervision. On-leash, we have grown miles with a gentle leader. Avi and my male have never had a fight or even a snarky snap. Even so, I ALWAYS crate one while I am gone.

milos_mommy

How old is Avi? If she's under 3, her DA may get worse, not better.

It sounds like the male foster just has a personality like that. Like some people, some dogs just aren't "right". It sounds like it may be hard to find him a home, but if you want a different dog and can have another, I think you should go that route instead of hoping the male you have will snap out of it.

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Avi, if you have the ability to travel, there are so, soo many homeless pitties near Detroit, MI right now.. if you just enter Detroit, MI, and Pit Bull into the petfinder search engine, I feel like you could easily find someone. Home Fur-Ever is one of the first organizations to appear, and I'm grateful to have them in MI, because not even the Detroit Humane Society accepts pitties :( It also looks as though they have a lot of 'adult' dogs, so the chances of adopting a dog who will later develop any DA are slim.

If you do not have the ability to travel, I suggest checking out Operation Roger, if there are no pitties in your immediate area.

And good luck with your foster.. that sounds like a hard case!

You know, sometimes adding a third makes a big difference. My two were always close, but when I brought Tallulah home, something happened. Something good :) My two serious, solemn, all-work-and-barely-any-play dogs wrestle, play tug, chase, tag, and are so much happier -- and more active. Tallulah was the missing piece of our family.

I'll be totally honest here. I have the male you are describing. His name is Argon, and he was my foster dog. I ended up keeping him, because literally no one wanted him. He's allergic to all grains, epileptic, has no interest in training whatsoever, and most days has zero interest in cuddling or even being touched. It's like living with a skinny, whippetty cat. He came from a life of neglect, and probably never formed correctly neurologically.
I love him, even so. I love his quirks, and the way he does try, and the way he looks at me sometimes. But he is not the dog I wanted. Fostering Grimm, who is the dog I wanted, drove this point home rather harshly. Argon belongs in a home with a little old lady who has a fenced in yard. Unfortunatly, little old ladies are in short supply.
This sounds harsh when I write it, and I don't want anyone to doubt that I love my Argon. I wouldn't give him up now for anything, unless that perfect little old lady came along. But it does frustrate me sometimes to know that I kind of got stuck with him, rather then choosing him.
Try and find an appropriate home for the male.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
You know, sometimes adding a third makes a big difference. My two were always close, but when I brought Tallulah home, something happened. Something good :) My two serious, solemn, all-work-and-barely-any-play dogs wrestle, play tug, chase, tag, and are so much happier -- and more active. Tallulah was the missing piece of our family.
Same thing happened when I brought home the poodles. The schnauzers who seemed on most days to ho-hum about the house, now act like puppies again. They even manage to get Kiba to play when she's not pissy. LOL.

lizzybeth727

I don't understand why you call him a foster, but you can't/don't want to give him back to the rescue where you got him from? Did you sign any kind of fostering/adoption agreement with the rescue about giving him back to them if it didn't work out?

I do agree that it doesn't sound like this is the right dog for you. I also think he might be difficult to rehome, and giving him back to the rescue would probably be your best bet.

milos_mommy

If you can have a third dog...

I would choose a dog you WANT. A dog whose personality fits what you're looking for for yourself and Avi. Maybe if the foster sees Avi and another dog playing and stuff, he'll learn. You didn't say what kind of situation he came from but it sounds like his problems could either be situational/trauma/he never learned to play, or he could just have an "off" personality.

Consider the fact he may never find another home better than yours. But keep looking if you think he would be happier with someone else. Otherwise, you'll have 3. Avi, your perfect dog and her playmate, and the oddball you all will learn to love.

Members online