Costco dog food

Mordy

Quigleyfied
yep, that's the typical response you get. they tell you that the term "human grade" doesn't mean anything when it comes to pet food (which is correct, because it's not legally defined), but also note how they conveniently forget to tell you the actual quality of the ingredients used? they do not make any statement at all, they don't even tell you it has passed USDA inspection.

Our products are of the highest quality, processed within the strictest
standards in the industry, and guaranteed to help your pet become a better,
healthier, happier companion.
don't forget, this coming from the company that mainly still produces foods that are byproduct based and full of grains. i bet if you asked them for the actual meat content percentage of this food (not the precentage of protein derived from animal sources, that is an entirely different value), they wouldn't give you a straightforward answer either.

KevDeb98

Kirkland Dog Food

I have been reading some of the responses regarding the Kirkland brand dog food sold at Costco. I am curious about it myself. I have a Great Dane/E. Mastiff mix and a Boxer. I recently started feeding them Solid Gold MMillennia Beef and Barley Formula dog food. Does anyone know if Kirkland has any comparison to this brand?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
KevDeb98, no, it doesn't even get close to anything made by solid gold. the levels of ingredient quality are totally different.

if someone is feeding a mainstream food (nutro, science diet, pedigree, purina, etc.), the kirkland is definitely the better choice, but it doesn't measure up to the high end foods.

nertle

I sent Diamond dog food an e-mail and here is the response I received:

>>Dear xxxx:

Diamond Pet Foods does manufacture the Kirkland Signature Puppy and Adult
Dog formulas, as well as the Maintenance Cat (dry foods only).

We buy all of our meat ingredients from human grade suppliers. Fresh meats
are mechanically deboned meat, similar to the ground chicken you see in the
grocery store. It has passed USDA inspection for human consumption. The
fresh meat ingredients make up about 1/4 of the overall formula. I would eat
this same meat if I purchased it in the grocery store. The meat is also
certified hormone and antibiotic free.

I hope this eases your mind about the Kirkland Signature formulas. These are
excellent foods at an excellent value.

Sincerely,

Dr. Melissa Brookshire
Director of Technical Services
Diamond Pet Foods
(phone) 800-442-0402
(fax) 573-229-4655
e-mail [email protected]<<

We feed our dog California Natural, but I have been quite fascinated by this prospect of a more affordable but potentially still "good" food.

-L

Is that the Costco dog food Joce?

I feed my dog Exclusive.

I need to get Chloe, my Corgi on something that will help her to lose some weight. Her weight is getting out of control since her pups were born and she got spayed.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
if you feed california natural now and switch to the kirkland stuff, you'll be sorely disappointed. it doesn't even get close to the quality level of anything made by natura.

if money is short and you need a "budget" food, have your natura retailer order the "healthwise" brand for you. it's made from the same high-quality ingredients as other natura products, but contains less meat overall, so it's less expensive.

Saje

Island dweller
Hey Mordy. I just posted this question on your old forum but I see you are online here now. I was just wondering what you thought of this brand. http://www.presidentschoice.ca/Pets...DryAdultDogFoodChunksLambRiceFormula/catid/42

I can't get anything from Natura up here and with my three, large, hyper dogs I can't afford to feed eagle pack - I lost my job...

I think it looks ok. Will it do until I get back on my feet?

Members online

No members online now.