Breeder Recommendations

Lyzelle

Trying to get our lists together and really start looking into breeders and upcoming litters for 2013 and 2014. We are moving to Italy in March, should be perfectly settled by April/May.

Top breeds we are looking at:

Siberian Husky & Alaskan Malamute (pretty sure I have this covered)
Rhodesian Ridgeback

Also considering:
German Shepherd
Doberman
Border Collie
Belgian Malinois (for shits and giggles, I know they come in many different flavors, like GSDs and BC's)

Type of dog we are looking for, across the board, is a more drivey dog with tons of energy but stable temperament and decent off switch. Primarily pet, but depending on the dog it might be my project dog to dabble in this or that sport. We are looking at working dogs for a reason, so conformation-only oriented breeders are out. If they do both, awesome.

Breeder has to be okay with a young military couple. We are young. We are military. No getting around that. All health testing applicable to the breed, of course, all the usual good-breeder material. Non-crazy people without crazy questionnaires are also nice.

Bonus if they are in Europe, since we will be in Italy.

Ready. Set. Go. :D

FG167

My GSD is a house pet and does multiple sports. He was a bit of a difficult puppy in terms of energy and craziness but is a wonderful dog to have in the house now (1.5 yrs old). Some weeks when we are super busy, I get out and throw the ball a bit during the day and then the rest of the time he just hangs out with me in the living room. Other times, we run every day and train every day, so he can also keep up with that. We've only been doing protection for about a month, but so far my training directors assure me he will be a solid dog that I can definitely compete with. He also is training/actively competing in dock jumping, flyball, agility, lure coursing, obedience etc etc.

His breeder sells with no contract but does test for hips/elbows and is in Belgium. I prefer a hands-off sort of contract, where the dog is *mine* after I buy him. He's been very supportive though and posts all of Kastle's achievements and occasional photos on his website. I've met 6-8 of his dogs that he's bred and probably another 4-5 of dogs he's sent to the USA not of his breeding to fulfill needs and they've all been what the handlers are looking for. Kastle's pretty extreme in terms of drive but I've met the "pet" dogs he's sent over and also a lower level competition dog (I asked for a dog I could potentially go to Nationals with and not make an ass of myself - realizing that puppies are a bit of a crapshoot), and they are definitely more easily manageable than Kastle but with good energy to do sports. I asked for extreme, Dutch Shepherd like energy and drive with a stable temperament.

ETA: I do UScA conformation (and UKC) with Kastle and he's doing well for a working line dog

It's VITAL to be exact in what you need. Don't say you want a dog that will run with you every day if you are not going to run every day etc....anyway: http://www.daelenberghutte.be/index2.htm

Oh, working line GSD :) In case you want a pic hehe

Lyzelle

All the way to Italy from Montana?! WHY? :eek:
Jin got PCS orders back in...July, I think? We were lucky to get some time to prepare, but it was definitely unexpected!

My GSD is a house pet and does multiple sports. He was a bit of a difficult puppy in terms of energy and craziness but is a wonderful dog to have in the house now (1.5 yrs old). Some weeks when we are super busy, I get out and throw the ball a bit during the day and then the rest of the time he just hangs out with me in the living room. Other times, we run every day and train every day, so he can also keep up with that. We've only been doing protection for about a month, but so far my training directors assure me he will be a solid dog that I can definitely compete with. He also is training/actively competing in dock jumping, flyball, agility, lure coursing, obedience etc etc.

His breeder sells with no contract but does test for hips/elbows and is in Belgium. I prefer a hands-off sort of contract, where the dog is *mine* after I buy him. He's been very supportive though and posts all of Kastle's achievements and occasional photos on his website. I've met 6-8 of his dogs that he's bred and probably another 4-5 of dogs he's sent to the USA not of his breeding to fulfill needs and they've all been what the handlers are looking for. Kastle's pretty extreme in terms of drive but I've met the "pet" dogs he's sent over and also a lower level competition dog (I asked for a dog I could potentially go to Nationals with and not make an ass of myself - realizing that puppies are a bit of a crapshoot), and they are definitely more easily manageable than Kastle but with good energy to do sports. I asked for extreme, Dutch Shepherd like energy and drive with a stable temperament.

It's VITAL to be exact in what you need. Don't say you want a dog that will run with you every day if you are not going to run every day etc....anyway:
Sounds wonderful! I'll take a closer look. The contract doesn't bother me so much. I'm a lot like you - I want the dog to be mine. I don't like breeders who require to keep the dog on retainer for breeding, or require showing and you pay all expenses....nope. Not for me.

I like drive, I love energy and the ability to be up for anything at just about any time. I love the work ethic. But there are some days where we just chill out around the house, which is why a nice off switch is good too. Stable, even temperament is vital, though. I've had my fill of extremely skittish dogs and I can't do aggression or reactivity. I don't mind harder, more stubborn, more drivey and demanding dogs, I just need that level of confidence first and foremost. One, because I just can't take it :p and two, because we are military, we might move a few more times, we are going to see people and other dogs. I just need a dog stable enough to handle that well, with enough proper handling and training.

And I LOVE the look of Kastle. I know, I know, it's aesthetics and all, but the long, deep slope on some GSDs freak me out a tiny bit.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
HEY HEY HEY GET AN AUSSIE! LOOK HOW CUTE MERLIN IS!! LOL

that is my only contribution to this thread.. lol

Lyzelle

HEY HEY HEY GET AN AUSSIE! LOOK HOW CUTE MERLIN IS!! LOL

that is my only contribution to this thread.. lol
:p Enabler. I've considered it. But some breeds I'd only get from certain breeders, so we'll see. I'll put the GSD breeder on my list too.

I'm really hoping to get a whole mass of breeders I can email. I'd say pretty much 90% of all breeders I've contacted thus far either want their dogs to stay local(or stateside), or won't consider us due to age/military. Frustrating.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Where is this off switch you all speak of?
I am unable to locate it on my puppy and he is currently zooming around the house with one of my socks.

Can anyone draw me up a chart? map? trouble shooting? FAQ?

Lyzelle

I'm not sure an off switch exists on any puppy. :rofl1: I think they grow them. Eventually. Some don't, though. Zander didn't even sleep until he was three years old, I believe.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Also considering:
German Shepherd
Doberman
Border Collie
Belgian Malinois (for shits and giggles, I know they come in many different flavors, like GSDs and BC's)

Type of dog we are looking for, across the board, is a more drivey dog with tons of energy but stable temperament and decent off switch. Primarily pet, but depending on the dog it might be my project dog to dabble in this or that sport. We are looking at working dogs for a reason, so conformation-only oriented breeders are out. If they do both, awesome.

Breeder has to be okay with a young military couple. We are young. We are military. No getting around that. All health testing applicable to the breed, of course, all the usual good-breeder material. Non-crazy people without crazy questionnaires are also nice.

Bonus if they are in Europe, since we will be in Italy.

Ready. Set. Go. :D
I don't think a malinois is exactly what you're seeking (I doubt you're serious you say it's only shits n giggles?) but if you get a Kastle like GSD you'd be scoring I bet.

Also I can recommend a few border collies but it's one of those breeds where you need to be specific about type. I bet you could find a killer farm collie over there.

I love Dobes! Are you sure about their biddability? Breed restrictions on base? Health issues?

Have you considered other herding or working dogs? Why did these get the narrow down?

Maybe a beauceron? Or an ES? Or an Aussie?

Lyzelle

I don't think a malinois is exactly what you're seeking (I doubt you're serious you say it's only shits n giggles?) but if you get a Kastle like GSD you'd be scoring I bet.
Yep, pretty much. I knew they come in some amount of variety, but I wasn't sure how much they varied, so it was really a more of non-serious thing. If they came in what I was looking for...cool. If not, no biggie.

Also I can recommend a few border collies but it's one of those breeds where you need to be specific about type. I bet you could find a killer farm collie over there.
Border Collies are confusing when it comes to type, thus why they were on the considering list too. I know I can answer questions about what I like/don't like about aspects of the breed. I like the energy and loyalty, and general goofy attitude, for example, but I couldn't begin to tell you which type whatever traits fall into. I also know I love Bridadoon's BCs and the personality she often talks about with her dogs. But I believe hers are British lines? And I can't figure out how to search breeders by the type of dog they breed. Between Border Collies and GSDs, I get the biggest headache ever searching for breeders. :eek:

Italy seems to be more of a hunting/water dog/spaniel crowd, though I'm sure I could probably find some farm collies as well. We'll see when I get over there!

I love Dobes! Are you sure about their biddability? Breed restrictions on base? Health issues?
There is no base housing at Aviano, so the AF's BSL is zilch. :D So I was able to add in Dobes. It's a breed I'm learning about, but I'm growing to like. Health issues I can deal with, although I know it's a bit of a heartbreak breed. Overall, I would prefer a healthier breed. But if a particular breeder has a good track record with the health of their dogs, then I can go in aware of the possibilities but more confident in my decision.

I'm used to Sibes who could care less about people, and mastiffs who want nothing more but to go to the bathroom with you and do everything to make you happy. Biddability isn't a huge factor for this particular dog. If it were, I would probably take Sibes down and save them for later.

Have you considered other herding or working dogs? Why did these get the narrow down?
On other breeds, I prefer the breeder over the breed. For example, I will always love Sibes and Rhodies. I don't like the crowd in Sibes, but I can put up with it for the breed. But I really only care for GSDs of a certain type/temperament. Never gave a thought to Aussies before Fran and Toller posted their experience with Oracle. It's more of an all or nothing, I guess. I can't seem to get interested in certain breeds outside of certain lines or breeders, so I don't really consider myself interested in the breed as a whole. That's why many breeds I could consider aren't necessarily on the list.

Maybe a beauceron? Or an ES? Or an Aussie?
I'm open to most breeds of herding and working dogs, as long as they fit what I want, as I said above. Beauceron's have always had my eye, but I don't know much about them. Same with ES. Aussie I never considered until I learned about Oracle.

FG167

if you get a Kastle like GSD you'd be scoring I bet.

<3 Love my Kastle :D Seriously though, if you contacted my breeder and told him you wanted an active house pet that could perhaps dabble in some sports, I think you'd be happy. However, Kastle was the largest puppy by far in his litter, and now he's the smallest adult. He weighs 62 lbs at 1.5 years, his half brother weighs 95 lbs at 3 years. Puppy = crapshoot.

I really like farm/cattle-bred BCs. We have a sporter collie, he's Jason's, and while I love him, he's very sweet, he's a pansy and WAY more soft than what I like. I like sensitive, but tough dogs. The cattle-bred BCs I've seen are that way. I was seriously looking that way when I came across Kelpies and seems like a lot of cattle farms are crossing BC/Kelpie so the temperament must be similar...I just prefer Kelpies overall :) There is no health testing (IME) in the farm dogs, but they're also super, duper cheap. Most I was looking at were about $400 from working parents.

monkeys23

Funny enough the people down the road from my parent's have a couple McNab/Kelpie crosses they kept out of their Kelpie girl and their now deceased old McNab guy. Really excellent working dogs. They work cattle on the ranch and help when they ride BLM during summer when the cows are out on the range. Serendipitously she has a new young McNab boy she got the last spring, he's her old boy's nephew.

Honestly... you've wanted a RR. Just get one! :p They are good combo with the fluffy butt's too. :p

I also have to enable the whole contacting Kastle's breeder thing though... I bet you'd be extremely happy with what you get there!

I am also one who prefers the farm/cattle bred BC's. Not at all fond of the super soft sport and sheepdog trial bred dogs. Granted I was really ruined by the awesome dog I grew up with.

Members online

No members online now.