Busted lip...

bogolove

Yes, I officially have a busted lip. Guess who did it? My furry pal, Brady. I am talking busted: swollen, blood, pain, the whole works. How? Well, that is a very good question b/c I can't even be sure myself how it happened.

I let him in from going out to the bathroom, and he bounds in a bit excited but he didn't seem OVER-exhuberant. Well, apparently I was VERY wrong about that. Well, I kind of did a little jog for about THREE steps into the living room and I guess he was wound up enough to take that as "play/run as fast as you can at the stairs and bounce back towards the couch" time. Well, I happened to be sitting on the couch right as he turned towards the couch from the stairs. Now he is FAST and he is BIG and the stairs are a short distance from the couch. Right as I am sitting I see him coming and I duck my head a bit b/c I notice he sees me sitting and he can NOT stop. So instead of doing his little jump onto the couch he decides to try to jump higher to clear me. Well, normally he is a great jumper and I have even thought about entering him in agility for how good he does in jumping. Not THIS time. His back doggie knee went right into my bottom lip. PAIN and blood. And a big fat bottom lip. Wow it hurt. I have never had one before. Now it just kind of stings and it is still big and busted looking, but it doesn't hurt like it did at first.

So, sorry this is so long, but I never had one before, and I never would have thought the dog would sock me one so good. But he got me... ;)

Oh, oh, oh . . . . that is so funny, and I feel so bad for laughing 'cause I know it hurts (guess how I know :rolleyes: ) At least he didn't give you a black eye.

If it makes you feel any better - or just makes you laugh - Shiva has a habit of putting her feet on the sofa to lean forward to rub whiskers with Charley, only sometimes she misses with that big foot of hers and you know where she steps . . . :eek:

Kharma bruised my lip the other day by whacking me with her paw when I wasn't turning around to pay attention to her fast enough, and Bimmer almost blacked my eye when he vaulted over Shiva and Kharma's backs to get to me to kiss me in the face when I came home the other night.

Oh, well, I always say nothing is too bad if you can get a good story out of it . . .

Last edited:
ow
I also have a list of injury I've gotten from Boomer:

-Dislocated shoulder (dog runs into me while im sitting on the couch)
-numerous sprained wrists and ankles (dog smashes into my knees and i have to catch my fall)
-black eye (dog runs full speed into my face while I was crouching)
-swollen lips (Same as above)
-stitches on my legs (fell back when he tackled me)

Funny because I've only had this monster for about a year and I've heard that golden retrievers normally dont calm down till they're about 3 years old.

Debi

OUCH, bogolove!! And sure....try telling everyone 'no, really..it was my dog' When the dogs come in, I wipe their paws if it's been raining/snowing (which it does daily) and Hammie always puts his head way down and snuggles into my chest.....I keep making the same stupid mistake of having my head directly above so that when he lifts his head...WHAM..right up under my chin! You'd think I'd learn......:rolleyes:

bogolove

Renee- ouch! Maybe you should get Charley a cup to wear around those two big bumbling girls.... ;)

shredhead - sorry to laugh, but the black wear dog runs into your head at full force had me chuckling, mostly b/c I could see the same thing happening to me... :D

Debi- I do the wipe the paws thing when it has been raining or smowing here, good thing you told me, b/c now I need to watch out for that too!!! :D

Debi, you've got to watch these German Shepherds!

I've got this little flat place on the end of my nose. You really can't see it, just feel it a little bit. My sister had one of those 'perfect' little noses - you know the kind - and she just loved to twit me about mine, especially since my Mom was always going on about how pretty her nose was and wondering if there wasn't some way to get rid of the flat spot on mine. I can't tell you how much time Mom spent pinching the end of my nose when I was a kid, trying to get rid of that flat spot! Of course, it bugged me no end, as only a teenager can be bugged by a six-years younger sib, who is, of course, perfect . . . :rolleyes:

Purdue, the First Shepherd, had a game he just loved to play with me. It was a German Shepherd's version of Chicken. I'd crouch down on one end of the yard and he'd run to the other end and assume the International Play Position, chest down, ears upright, head cocked to the side, butt and tail high in the air. Then he'd run, straight at me, full bore. At the last possible moment, I'd hop to one side and he'd swerve to the other, run past me, turn and come back and jump up on my back.

You can see where this is going . . .

Well, one day my sister, being jealous of the game and terribly competitive, decided that not only would she play with Purdue, she'd show me that she was braver. When Purdue ran at her, she didn't move.

Neither did he.

WHAM!

Knocked her flat.

You know that bony little bump on top of Hammie's head? Popped her square in the middle of that perfect little nose with it! Popped her good . . . broke it.

Now, she's grown up with a big bump in the middle of her nose . . . . with a flat place on it!

Purdue was such a good dog.

Debi

Renee...I laughed so hard, I spit tea onto my keyboard. (sorry to your sis) :D

Doberluv

I'm sorry for your ouchie. That must hurt. I know. I too have been injured mildly several times now by my Doberman pup. He has the hardest head of any dog I ever had. (and I've had lots) He has this bone on top that forms a sort of ridge. And I never, ever learn to be careful. I know better than to get my head over the top of a horse's head or face, so why can't I learn to take the same caution with my Dobe? Three times he's hit my nose so hard, I thought it broke. And I've received one split lip, like you. I bend over when playing and whamo!

The other day he was going back and forth through my legs, (which almost high centers me) and I wondered why he wasn't coming back, so I bent down and looked between my legs just as he was busting through and he popped his head up hard. A-h-h-h.....get the ice!

Hope your wound heals soon. Ice helps get the swelling down.

bogolove

Oh doberluv! That sounded so painful yet I couldn't help but chuckle picturing it in my head. My lip now has a bubble on it that seems will turn into a scab. Atleast it is more towards the outer part of the lip so it doesn't drive me completely crazy.

OMG! Doberluv, I can't stop giggling - next time you'll remember to just turn around instead of bending over! It could've been much, much worse though . . . hope it quits hurting very soon!

I just hope Shiva never decides to play that game - :eek:

Katysdog

OUCH!!!

We all have our scars to bear. Mine is on my leg. When my dog was 9 months old I had her tied to a 150 foot line. Didn't want her to feel restricted. I got real good at jumping over the rope as she sped by. Things went well for 2 weeks, then my husband came home from a long business trip.

He takes one look at the step up I have and says "someones going to get very hurt here." Well I swear not even five minutes later Sunny (my dog) came running by at mock sped. I go to jump over the line, but my wonderful husband had been standing on the line. It was just enough of a dely for me to come back down and the rope to take me out.

That was about a year and a half ago. Now when people point at my scar and ask how I got it, I tell them that I lost at hop scotch of death.

bogolove

oh katysdog, I have a burn mark on my leg like that (actually 2) from Brady's leash (the retractable one). But one scar is really prominent. It wrapped around my leg and he was playing with his Jenny and he took off after her. It looked like an actual burn. That was quite painful too! He is lucky he is so cute and sweet and furry, that is how he stays out of so much trouble. Those sweet eyes get me every time!

Debi

heeheehee, that Brady....a boy after my own heart! What a wonderful pup..full of energy!!! Hey....I've almost lost fingers when the leash has gotten wrapped somehow around them....then a quick move...OUCH!! So, we've all had the token bruises, bumps, broken lips (ok, bogolove...yours probably is the worst!) love with pain.......but those crazy pups are the funniest, are they not?!! ;)

I thought I'd bought it the other night! I'd found a semi-comfy position on the old sectional and was kind of drifting in and out - I'd given up on watching TV since Charley was jumping back and forth between two programs (HATE THAT!!!) and had a headache from not saying anything about it.

You know that feeling you get when you're semi-conscious and you feel like someone's watching you? Yeah, that one. So I turn my head and look up, and see Shiva . . . standing on the back of the sofa . . . balancing and hanging her big head over so she can look straight into my face at a distance of about 4 inches.

The back of the old sectional's only about 3 inches wide. Not really wide enough to reliably support a giant like Shiva.

So she's tottering, legs shaking, ready to tumble right on top of me, head to head. I really, really don't want a concussion, so I roll off on the floor just as she loses her balance, falls head first, then continues her descent by means of a somersault off the seat and across my chest.

Of course, she's perfectly comfy laying there on the floor with her shoulders propped up on me! Kharma thought it was handy too, and actually moved from the front of the heater to come over and lick me in the face while Shiva had me pinned. Bimmer, being the practical soul he is, stayed in his spot behind Charley's legs and just peeked over and laughed at us.

avenlee

Oh, many times I've woken up in the morning and make my way down the stairs, one eye opened mind you, and my two dogs are jumping up and down on the stairs, in and out of my legs trying to say good morning. Drives me nuts ! I'm surprised I haven't fallen down the stairs yet! I think my subconscious mind prepares itself and goes on overdrive. But, I have a bum knee that gives out quite easily and Sadie will forever be at my feet and at times, trying not to trample over her, I will blow it out. OUCHIE!

bogolove

My lip is driving me crazy. It is healing and has a scab, YUCK!

Debi - you are so right, Brady is FULL of energy. He played with Jenny last night and I forgot it had rained that morning. I am talking my white dog was completely brown. BATH TIME!!!!!! The water was brown. He was so funny to see though. I have never seen him that dirty! LOL!

Renee- that story was so funny!!!!! :D

Debi

sorry, Renee....laughing here at that visual!!!!!!!!!

We have a loft bedroom..with the staircase being open entirely (except for one wall) OMG...how many times I've balanced our teacups (YIKES, HOT) while trying to go up the stairs with the dogs in my way..tea sloshing about...me getting burnt...LOL OK..just ANOTHER thing that causes pain with the furbabes! :rolleyes:

OH bogolove..hope that lip heals soon...........eewww, the visual of the scab hahahaha All in love, tho...right? Hugs to Brady...geez, I just LOVE that guy! So, has anyone asked you 'what really happened?' heeheehee like I said..........TRY explaining................'no, it REALLY was the dog!'

Maybe we should all buy padding.........like as if we're playing hockey or something........heeheehee.............just to be with the dogs!!!

bogolove

Yeah people have been looking at me crazy when I say it was the dog. I try to explain I have basically an 80 pound puppy. Maybe I will let them borrow him for a day and then they will understand. LOL!

I also almost got a black eye last night! Hubby and I were drying Brady off after his bath to rid him of all the brown mud in his fur and we were both bent over drying and drying so that he would not shake (we were afraid there may still be some mud on him somewhere) and my husbands elbow went right in my eye! He was like on no!!! I said you better hope that doesn't get black because people already looked at me crazy when the dog busted my lip. Luckily nothing came of it, nad it was really more like my eyeBROW that was elbowed. That would have been funny - a busted lip and a black eyebrow! LOL!

On the bright side the scab came off and my lip feels so much better. It was driving me crazy!!!

joce

Sounds very familiar! My dobe lurs everyone in with his sweet face and then he knocks you in the face with his big bony head! I always warn everyone not to bend down cuz he'll knock his head right into yours. It's happened to my poor mom more times than I can count.

Members online

No members online now.