Help with progressing to home alone

Ok so we are crate training and all is well...so far. We have even instituted a bell at the door so that Snickers can let us know when he needs to go out. The only problem is, he will ring the bell sometimes just because he wants to go outside, but not because he has to potty. How do I teach him to use the bell only for potty times?

Also, he is crated during the day while we work (he's 7 months old now) and he holds his bladder fabulously! I want to work on letting him stay at home by himself *out* of the crate, but I think he will potty in the house once he realizes noone is there to let him out. He will hold it in his crate, but he won't try to hold it around the house! How do I teach him that the house is his den too, and that he shouldn't potty in it?

Help is appreciated, thanks!!

Last edited:

EbonyDal

Spot the Difference!
There are probably better people to advise on these questions but I will take a try at it. If he rings the bell just to "page' you and doesnt need to potty, I would let him out anyway, but then call him right back in. he needs to know you will let him out when he signals but also that this is not a fun game. Then give him a treat every time when he potties outside, and comes back in. Make play time separate from potty time, and make sure he has ample exercise time. He might be getting bored to be playing this game with you. [grin]. As for not crating while you are away, I strongly advise against this. Most dogs are not mentally mature until closer to age 2 years or beyond; and if you leave him uncrated and he does make a mess, you may not be able to break the bad habits later. A bigger worry is chewing from boredom if left unconfined while away, and once they start doing that they tend to do it forever, in my experience. My dogs are aged 10 weeks, just shy of 2 years and my small dog is almost 5; the little senior is the only one who has free run of the house while I am gone. I wont even try to trust my middle dog until he is near that same age. I also schedule exercise times such that I know they will all be tired and ready for a rest before I leave. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.