transporting fish and tank?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok I'm sort of worried about what to do with the piranha's when we move. I was considering moving the tank last and just using as many empty jugs and buckets that we have to remove as much water as I can that they are used to. I was than going to just carry them over in a bucket and immediately transport them back into the tank once the tank is set up. I was figuring they'd just have to live in a half full tank for a night so the water has a chance to get to room temperature (ofcourse I do also treat my water with conditioner and stuff). Will they die? My filter does reach halfway down my tank so I would be able to plug the filter in. Any suggestions? Should I just let the water acclimate for a couple hours before filling up the other half of the tank? I don't want to shock them but I know these two don't easily shock with temperatures and such (as I never really knew the proper way to acclimate fish until I put them in their new tank. But sometimes I will clean about 50% of their water every other week (instead of 25% every week) and they don't seem to be bothered by it. Any help would be appreciated because I'm freaking out about these guys. Also they can not go into plastic bags for transport because they will bite through them. I got plastic containers from the pet store but they don't fit comfortably in them and seemed stressed (by stressed I mean aggitated and just severely p.o.ed).

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
if it is at all possible syphon 1/2 of the existing tanks water and don't change your filter pads. Then you can fill the balance of the tank with fresh water and use your conditioners. Are you using new gravel ? pet shops sell a biological bacteria that helps start your tank faster. How long has new tank been set up ?

SarahFair

Syphon as much water as you can into one of thouse very large coolers and put them in there if its not going to be a long trip..
(thats what I did with my oscars when I sold them)
When you get to where your going put all that water back in the tank and I think it would be ok if you put a little more water in there and leave them for a day or two then fill it back up..
Good luck!
I too will have to be moving my 55 gallon tank soon :yikes:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
if it is at all possible syphon 1/2 of the existing tanks water and don't change your filter pads. Then you can fill the balance of the tank with fresh water and use your conditioners. Are you using new gravel ? pet shops sell a biological bacteria that helps start your tank faster. How long has new tank been set up ?
Well right now we have enough for buckets to syphon 20 gallons but have a cooler we will be cleaning out as well to put water in. The tank has been set up for I think 2-3 months. The gravel we bought when we got the tank but some of the decorations were transferred from their old 29 gallon tank.

Syphon as much water as you can into one of thouse very large coolers and put them in there if its not going to be a long trip..
(thats what I did with my oscars when I sold them)
When you get to where your going put all that water back in the tank and I think it would be ok if you put a little more water in there and leave them for a day or two then fill it back up..
Good luck!
I too will have to be moving my 55 gallon tank soon
We are just moving two houses down so it's not too far to go. Our tank is a 75 gallon so I'm more worried about something happening to the tank on the move. I am worried about the fish but the tank is my main concern. They will definetely be going in a cooler or something with a lid though because they can and will jump out of the water.

Doberluv

I would be sure and siphon out all the water. If you move a tank with water in it, it can crack. I'd save the water and put enough into a few large containers (depending on how many fish and the fit etc) for the fish. Save all the water. Take your tank to it's new spot, fill it up with the water you saved which is not holding the fish and put the fish back before they have time to get too stressed or the water changes temperature too much. Then put the water that the fish were carried in back in. Don't worry about cleaning it or plants, decorations for a few days. Let them get un-stressed first. It doesn't matter if the filter isn't clean or anything. The main this is that their water doesn't change suddenly (temp and ph) and that you get them back in as soon as you can. It shouldn't be hard since it's so close.

I don't have pihranas but do have tropical fish. So, I don't really know about pihranas. Maybe they're not as sensative. Anyhow, just my .02.

Members online

No members online now.