How "far" do you let your dog take begging?

Dagwall

Oh Dagwall.....I couldn't handle mine that close while I eat! lol
Honestly the majority of the time he knows he isn't getting anything so he just lays down either in front of my lap facing away or next to me on the couch. He begs more from my brother than from me. Brother denies giving him little bits that often but I think the truth is in the dogs attentions. If we both are eating Jubel's attentions are focused on my brother not me.

k9krazee

Umm. He's a horrible beggar because Ken has made him that way.

He WILL stick his head into the popcorn bowl when you're not paying attention. He usually doesn't try to steal other food though.

He is not allowed on the bench seats of the kitchen table and has to keep at least two feet on his chair in the corner.

He begs when we sit on the couch...

He knows he's supposed to put his head down though! lol

It's super bad and super annoying but I can't convince my husband to stop allowing it, so I don't fight it at this point.

He's super good at restaurants though!!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Most is because I live alone and eat on the couch a lot. If you sit at the table, she's actually very good. But I feed them bits of almost everything so they hover at meal times. When guests are over, I put them away.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I think it's from owning a Border Collie, but I know I really hate staring. And Border Collies can stare into your soul. You can feel it. Really.

I realized a few minutes ago that I'm sitting at the couch, eating chips, and Rigby is lying at my feet.
But she's not death staring me (or touching me, drooling, making noise etc.).
Actually, every time I look at her while I have food in my hand, she makes a point of looking away.

Usually, when there's treats to be had, eye contact is her first move because we have worked it so often.
It's sort of interesting how she seems to be aware that eye contact is good for her treats, but not good when it's my food.

DJEtzel

My dogs can do whatever they'd like as long as it's not barking, drooling on me, sitting next to me on the couch, or grabbing my food.

They can sit a foot in front of me a drool puddles if they like, they know not to get me wet or take my food. They can be on the couch if they aren't facing me and begging, I don't want them that close to me. :p

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
They can do whatever they want short of trying to actually eat the food from my plate/silverware or going on my lap. So usually Bubbles lays somewhere, Kimma lays somewhere else, and Jari lays at my feet. If they are doing a nice job of being normal dogs they will get rewarded with pieces of whatever I'm eating if it's dog friendly. Jari still has some trouble with my eating at the coffee table, so I will sometimes just put him in another room. The girls are fine. Kimma only gets annoying around Justin when he eats pretzels. Girl loves her pretzels.
This is how I feel as well.

We always eat at the dining table, and I don't care what the dogs do as long as they're not trying to get to my food. When I'm finished eating, I will give them a piece of my food as long as it's something they can eat. I make them each sit for it, though.

The only thing we'll eat on the couch are snacks, and the dogs are pretty good about ignoring us. They'll continue to lay on the couch or stare at us, but they've never tried to grab food. Even if I put a plate on the coffee table, they won't touch it (which is surprising lol since my dogs LOVE food).

JacksonsMom

He sat with me on the RV in similar fashion to this, and ate breakfast with me. He never put his face up on the table (I told him to say his prayers for the pic lol, so he put his paws up), and sat there next to me quietly. Doesn't bother me.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I think it's from owning a Border Collie, but I know I really hate staring. And Border Collies can stare into your soul. You can feel it. Really.
Lol!! I don't even think about it anymore, but this weekend I had Feist out at a tennis tournament and everyone was saying 'why is she looking at me like that???' Haha. Even a three year old little boy asked me why she was staring at him. Border collies are such creepers.

Members online

No members online now.