New Parrot Toy = <3

~Tucker&Me~

So, my female peach-faced is a plucker. She has been plucking for about 8 months now :(

Anyway, yesterday, my mom and I decided that the cage needed a REAL clean (not just a bedding change), so I got right down to it and scrubbed the heck out of it. We also bought $100 worth of toys and a heat lamp.

First off, I am VERY pleased with the heat lamp. It is the type used for reptiles and we keep it on a very low setting. It emits light but it is the low red light used for nocturnal animals, so I don't believe it will damage their eyes. Our house gets drafty and can be cold, so I think it is a good investment for the winter months. It sits on top of the cage in one corner so the birds can 'escape' the warmth if they don't feel like it. Last night, the two of them bathed in their new bathtub and immediately perched beneath the lamp while they preened and snuggled. It was so cute!

On to the amazing toy!

Ok, so I recently read an article that really emphasized how important foraging is for parrots. The article even went so far as to say it was MORE important than playing. When I went shopping, I found this:

http://www.24parrot.com/images/articles/Foraging_Holder.jpg

And WOW. Instead of using their cardboard, I used a toilet paper roll (the round piece of cardboard) and poked a couple holes in it. After 20 minutes of bribing them to check it out, the pair figured out it was filled with treats and ripped larger holes and really dug away at it. My plucker, who rarely touches toys, worked on it for upwards of an hour.

I highly recommend it!

I've seen these and thought about trying them with my African Grey. I'm not sure how long it would take him to get the hang of it but any foraging opportunity is great for parrots. I'll have to give them a try. :)

~Tucker&Me~

Yes, do try them! If you find that model snag it because I love it and so do my birds.

It's pretty simple and you can play around with how hard it is and what you put in it :)

AFRICAN GREY?! Pictures. Now.

:popcorn:
:D

BlueChaos

What are you feeding her? I had a PF lovebird that plucked for years before I adopted her, I couldnt figure out what was causing her plucking, until I switched to food without artificial colors and preservatives, right away she stopped plucking and the grey fuzz started growing back.
I reccomend Harrisons pellets and Goldenfeast seed, plus fresh fruits/veggies, millet and she loved cooked rice with veggies.

Speaking of toys, if youre looking for something cheap use register paper rolls, the kind that receipts are printed on, you can get them at any office depot type places, my lovebirds would shred it to bits.

~Tucker&Me~

I am feeding her a mix of pellets, seeds, and the odd fresh foods. She has not been fed artificially coloured foods, but thanks for the idea! I will look into those foods.

Oh good idea! I will add that to my shopping list :D

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i used to just take a toilet paper tube fill it with goodies and squish the ends in so nothing would just fall out, then put it on the floor of the cage for my mums goffins. the first couple of times i had to put a small starte hole in it, but once he got the idea he LOVED thearing the thing to shreds...

Members online

No members online now.