*sigh* looking at Golden breeders.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
We're still a few years away from another dog, but here's the scoop.

Matt and I have been in agreement for YEARS that our next dog would be a Newfie. He has always, unwaveringly, wanted a Golden Retriever, but I DO NOT, so we agreed on Newfoundlands as something with the qualities we both want in a dog.

Well. I picked Sierra (or Sierra found me, either way, she was my say and I fought for her). So I agreed that when the time comes he ultimately will get to say our next dog is. As much as he likes Newfs, that is a compromise to him, and wouldn't be his top pick.

So I can pretty much guarantee to you that we will end up getting a Golden.

*sigh*

There are HUNDREDS of Golden Retriever breeders in Ontario. (Rescue would be an option, but I'd like to be prepared as it's hard to find a good purebred Golden in rescue). How on earth do you wade through so many to find the right one? I know what to look for, but I go cross-eyed before I've even scratched the surface of the list!

With how popular they are, I want to be VERY specific that we get the right kind of breeder, and don't end up with the "wrong" kind of Golden.

*grumbles*

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
As I say with most breeds, versatility is the key, as well as the longevity of their dogs. Do they frequently have 'seniors' at 6-7 or closer to 10-12? I often see 'doggy obits' for 'old dogs' then see they were only 7 when they died of 'old age'. My 'senior' is 10 and getting ready for his first agility trial, while some dogs at 7 are dragging around like they're on their last legs. (A Golden should age pretty much like a Collie ... I wouldn't say the same about a giant breed ...)

(Sorry for all the 'quoting', but I can't express my sarcasm otherwise...) :p

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
(Sorry for all the 'quoting', but I can't express my sarcasm otherwise...) :p
Haha it's okay, I do *this* a lot to emphasize my point ;)

That's definitely one of the things I would be looking for. I met a Golden last week at work I would have *sworn* (see, there I go!) was 12. Totally grey, hobbling around. So I asked how old she was. 5. She was FIVE. And was terminally ill with bone cancer. And from what many would consider an amazing breeder...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Can you go to some shows? Find a mentor? If you want the best of the best, maybe doing something like that would be beneficial?

Maxy24

Cancer is VERY common in Goldens I believe. my great Aunt had four, I think a couple may have been from the same breeder (BYB) but not all of them. They all died before age 10, most of them around age 4-5 of cancer.

Try to find one who does some hunting (and actually titles), it's nice to see people trying to preserve the true temperament.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I have "show world" contacts, but I don't know if the "#1 show dog" type is what we're looking for. It's important to me that a breeder do more than just conformation. Part of the reason I feel I should be starting to look now is that I know this is going to be HARD work! LOL

Xandra

Show or working?

What traits are you looking for?

What I would do is look for exemplary dogs... goldens that epitomize what you want in a dog. Then find out who produced and raised them.

So search the net for titles you like, shows, competitions, and see who scored where.

Golden Retriever Forum, spend some time doing searches, see which dogs/breeders people in Ontario talk about, decide whether you like them or not. Join the forum, describe what you like, see who they recommend.

And of course going to shows, events, etc so you actually meet the dogs is best.

bubbatd

I can connect you with breeders through my Golden Retriever club , they show in the US and Canada in both field/conformation and obedience . If you want a dog like Seger ( blog below ) look more into conformation . Others are usually darker and have more " drive " . I've had both and in between in my 60 years . Any breeder recommended will have all testing available . Just let me you if you want me to put you in touch with someone . It took over 8 months to get Seger . These are selective breeders and don't crank them out to sell !

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Thanks guys.

Corgipower suggested in chat that I start by looking at obedience trials, which actually makes a lot of sense to me considering what Matt and I would be looking for. I'd be more likely to find a breeder through that who's dogs are shown, but also capable of far more. And since agility and obedience are things I'm still interested in doing, it feels like the right place to start.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd be super prepared to get the "why don't you go through rescue" spiel countless times. Goldens are pretty much the #1 BYB/mill dog, or at least in some areas. Basically, they're everywhere and you're going to have a hard time convincing some people of why you are going through a breeder.

I totally get it though, the typical quality of Golden coming out of the BYB's is...scary.

I agree, go to the venues you want to compete in and ask around. Hips, elbows, cancer rates and longevity are what I would ask about. I knew a Golden who was finally put down a few months before her 18th birthday. Truthfully, she should have gone sooner (couldn't really walk or get up unassisted because of multiple strokes) but she was a sweet girl to the end.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I totally understand the temperament issues. Matt had two Goldens growing up. Both of unstable temperaments, one actually was returned to the breeder and eventually PTS because it bit 4 people.

I need to do this properly if we're going to do it at all. I have no problem standing up for the decision to go through a reputable breeder :)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Charlie's breeder only recently started working with griffons. Her passion always has been and will be goldens. She's been breeding golden for something like a couple/few decades.

Honestly, I'd never cared much for goldens. I'd only met BYB goldens up until that point, and ZOMG hers are soooo outstanding! They have super temperaments, and she had some really old dogs there, like 9+ years old that still looked and acted like puppies. She shows and does really well, like she actually manages to finish their AKC CH which is pretty impressive considering you have to beat 80+ dogs in some areas to get a major. And her husband is a hunter. I don't know if he hunts will all or some of the dogs. I know she also had two really nice field bred goldens when we went to get Charlie.

Anyway, she's a breeder I would trust 100% getting a dog from. She's in Oregon, which is kind of far, but the right dog is definitely worth shipping I think. If you don't want to ship, she may know another breeder of similar caliber who lives in your area.

All of her dogs are OFA'd for generations too, if you search her kennel name in the database.

Web Page Copy

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Wow, those are some gorgeous dogs! Not overdone, hurly burly Rotties in long coats!

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Romy THAT sounds what I'd be looking for. And her dogs are exactly what I picture when I think of a good Golden. I'd like to not ship when the time comes though, so I'll bookmark her site and maybe see if she knows anyone closer to here...

Dekka

Just try me..
Golden's are not my breed.. but I would go with Anne (I am sure you know who I mean) her dogs are healthy, shown, titled, mutligeneration raw, and just lovely dogs.

bubbatd

Don't stick to on line breeders only !!! Most good ones sell by word of mouth and connections through clubs , any you are interested in I can check for you . Most of my club have championships in both US and Canada in all phases and all are health checked ,

Members online